Natfly 2012

metalman

Guest avi8tr

Food for thought, released today:

On the evening of 27 July 2011, the owner-pilot of a Robinson Helicopter Co. R22 helicopter, registered VH-YOL, was conducting a local flight from Big Rock Dam to Brooking Springs homestead near Fitzroy Crossing, Western Australia. The pilot was reported missing and the wreckage of the helicopter was located the following day, 14 km north-west of Fitzroy Crossing township. The helicopter was seriously damaged and the pilot sustained fatal injuries.

The pilot was attempting to fly visually at low level on a dark night in an area that did not contain any local ground lighting. About halfway into the flight, the pilot inadvertently allowed the helicopter to develop a high rate of descent, resulting in a collision with terrain.

The investigation found that the pilot was operating at night without the appropriate training or qualification in a helicopter that was not suitably equipped. An examination of the helicopter found no evidence of any pre-existent defects or anomalies.

No organisational or systemic issues were identified that might adversely affect the future safety of aviation operations. However, the accident highlighted the significant risk to non‑night-qualified pilots of spatial disorientation and subsequent collision with terrain when attempting visual operations at night.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh I wondered about spatial disorientation with the trike pilot, it was a clear night with a full moon so he should've been able to keep an horizon , unless he got down low and got messed up. I know a fella that got caught out a while ago , tooling along quite happily in the setting sun and then desended into blackness when he was landing, I have it on good authority that he learned a good lesson and has never done it again!

The night was clear and the moon was full, but the moon was also *just* over the horizon when he took off to it wouldn't have given much illumination.

Doesn't seem to be a case of "spatial disorientation"; more a case of: "didn't see the tree."

• Like 1

Interesting - the webcam website is still up, showing the image at a few seconds before 2:00 pm on the Sunday.

With CASA doing a final ramp check to boot! I'm being cynical of course but it is the CASA car...........

Guest avi8tr

I really felt that the CASA car driving around was completely un-necessary. Foot patrols would have been far more effective. It was simply intimidating to people. It was almost as if they were too lazy to walk around, so just drove around the tarmac with the aircon pumping.

Guest Michael Coates

Cessna Seeks Pilot-Interns To Show Off The Skycatcher

Ten Paid Positions To Fly To Cessna Events, Write About Them, And Wave The Company Flag

Cessna Aircraft says it is looking for a few good pilots! If you've ever dreamed of flying for one of the world’s leaders in general aviation and getting paid for it, this could be the summer job for you. Cessna will be filling 10 positions this summer to fly and dispatch the 162 Skycatcher throughout the U.S.

What would you have to do?

• Attend pancake fly-ins, open houses and other events planned by Cessna

• Take pictures, video and post to Cessna’s social media outlets

• Travel to Cessna Pilot Centers throughout a defined territory and demo CFI’s

• Attend the famous EAA Fly-In in Oshkosh, WI and talk with Cessna customers about your experience flying the Skycatcher

Sounds like tough duty for a summer, right?

Applicants should be at least a Junior in college. Field of study is open although Marketing, Business or Aviation Management a plus.

Cessna says the interns should hold at least a CFI rating and 250 hours of flight time, though 500 hours is preferred. Other requirements for the job include:

• No incident/accident history

• No FAA action

• Professional attitude

• IMC experience, understanding this is a VFR aircraft

• Recommendation from a university department head

• Target weight +/- 190 lbs

• Target height +/- 72”

• Submission of a video clip and writing samples

To apply for the gig, submit a brief video audition (not to exceed 1 minute in length) of why you should be selected for the summer pilot program. You'll need to either upload your video to YouTube and send us a link to your video (or) save your video clip as a .wmv file and email to Cessna as an attachment. This position will require writing & communicating with fans and followers in different styles and formats. Please develop and submit entries you would post about your first flying experience in the appropriate styles for a blog, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn updates

The applications deadline is April 30th. Submit your resume, writing samples, and video clip to Kriste Weber, HR – Cessna Aircraft Company. (Photo provided by Cessna)

Guest Michael Coates
gee whizz....if i was 'photogenic' i'd apply!

I was told i have a face for radio...... whatever that means ??

Cessna Seeks Pilot-Interns To Show Off The SkycatcherTen Paid Positions To Fly To Cessna Events, Write About Them, And Wave The Company Flag

Cessna Aircraft says it is looking for a few good pilots! If you've ever dreamed of flying for one of the world’s leaders in general aviation and getting paid for it, this could be the summer job for you. Cessna will be filling 10 positions this summer to fly and dispatch the 162 Skycatcher throughout the U.S.

What would you have to do?

• Attend pancake fly-ins, open houses and other events planned by Cessna

• Take pictures, video and post to Cessna’s social media outlets

• Travel to Cessna Pilot Centers throughout a defined territory and demo CFI’s

• Attend the famous EAA Fly-In in Oshkosh, WI and talk with Cessna customers about your experience flying the Skycatcher

Sounds like tough duty for a summer, right?

Applicants should be at least a Junior in college. Field of study is open although Marketing, Business or Aviation Management a plus.

Cessna says the interns should hold at least a CFI rating and 250 hours of flight time, though 500 hours is preferred. Other requirements for the job include:

• No incident/accident history

• No FAA action

• Professional attitude

• IMC experience, understanding this is a VFR aircraft

• Recommendation from a university department head

• Target weight +/- 190 lbs

• Target height +/- 72”

• Submission of a video clip and writing samples

To apply for the gig, submit a brief video audition (not to exceed 1 minute in length) of why you should be selected for the summer pilot program. You'll need to either upload your video to YouTube and send us a link to your video (or) save your video clip as a .wmv file and email to Cessna as an attachment. This position will require writing & communicating with fans and followers in different styles and formats. Please develop and submit entries you would post about your first flying experience in the appropriate styles for a blog, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn updates

The applications deadline is April 30th. Submit your resume, writing samples, and video clip to Kriste Weber, HR – Cessna Aircraft Company. (Photo provided by Cessna)

so first prize is tooling around in a 162 for the summer,,so according to all the reports second prize would be two summers in a 162.

Guest Michael Coates

Or...... what do we do with all these planes we cant sell ?? and you must weigh only 75 kgs.... that's me out !

Guest Michael Coates
190 / 2.2 = 86. Am I missing something.

So i cant convert to kilos...... or have fingre torubles

Guest avi8tr

But you get a free plane for the duration though! At the rate they keep going up, that's probably a good deal.

I reckon the aussie savage importer should do the same thing ,a fleet of cubs and bobbers and I could find time to drift around telling peeps hows awesomely happy I am,,,,trouble is Rod stiff might get wind of it and I could get stuck in a 170 Jab for a few months ,,,,

• Like 1

I reckon the aussie savage importer should do the same thing ,a fleet of cubs and bobbers and I could find time to drift around telling peeps hows awesomely happy I am,,,,trouble is Rod stiff might get wind of it and I could get stuck in a 170 Jab for a few months ,,,,

Yeah, That sounds like a great idea. How about it MC,:).