DCDI stupid question

sain

Guest ozzie

I belive dual carb dual ign. if it were the other it would be dual capacitor disharge ign not condensor. confirm anyone.

ozzie

Thanks for the info guys - much appreciated ;). I've been seeing this a lot in aircraft ads recently but nobody I've asked seemed to know and I couldnt find the answer on the rotax site. One referrence I did find was to ducatti dual CDI, which didnt really help either.

anyway, cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

The early Aussie DIC's were dual ignition, one being the standard magneto to one plug and the other was a capacitor disgharge to the other, two plugs per cylinder.

David

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TOSGcentral

For interest in passing:

The Aussie DI system was a bolt on conversion to the early Rotax 503 single ignition system and the aircraft had to have some kind of electrical system to run it.

My experience with the system (two test flights for handling examination) was not very pleasant. The second ignition system ran off a battery but the aircraft had no charging system. So the battery had to be constantly re-charged for the system to work.

Naturally, the owner had forgotten to do this and the second ignition packed up on climb-out. Unfotunately the aircraft would not stay in the air on just the original ignition system (I assume because of combustion chamber alterations to get the second plug in each pot).

So the whole thing seemed like a waste of time in terms of failure support. In comparison a R582 DI will run very well on a single plug.

The DCDI terminology is just a form of shorthand for adverts such as you get in classifieds for flats etc (that I find incomprehensible). The various combinations are:

DCDI - Dual carb, dual ignition

SCDI - Single carb, dual ignition

SCSI - Single carb, single ignition

DCSI - Dual carb, single ignition.

This enables you to see at a glance what you are getting.

Tony