71 Year Old Pilot Crawls From Gyrocopter Forced Landing At Rhyll, Phillip Is

red750

Gyrocopter not equal helicopter. Although if Subaru made 'copter engines, I'd like to see that! Note the Nakajima Homare doesn't count, in my opinion, as a Subaru engine. The news post variously reported the aircraft as a gyro and a helo

Saw it on the nightly TV news. They described the pilot as an elderly gentleman and said he made a miraculous escape, particularly considering his age. So I was expecting them to report his age as being in his 80's at the very least least, and was quite surprised when they said he was only 71.

I suppose to a thirty year old news reader, 71 must seem ancient. Most of the people I know at that age are still in the workforce, fit as a fiddle (well almost) and out there enjoying life and doing everything that they were doing in their 50's. I wouldn't have thought a 71 year old pilot was a big novelty, but that's the media for you.

Cheers, Willie.

Guest avi8tr

I know the pilot Don. Very experienced, flies every day. Owns upwards of 5 gyro's I believe. Based on the pictures it looks like that one is the record holder (under previous ownership) from Alice Springs to Darwin.

He could land that thing on a dime as they say, literally!