Using a Dual GPS 160 with a Windows laptop

kaz3g

Hi another question...

I have had a moving map program running on my laptop for about 7 years and all has been good. A Bluetoothed a G-Sat GPS receiver provided position data until a few months ago when the position data went seriously awry.

I was told it was probably the GPS receiver so I purchased a Dual GPS 160. The laptop recognises it but doesn't seem to know what to do with it. No position data is transferring to the laptop. I tried it on two laptops, one running an older system and one on Windows 8. Still no go.

It works fine with the IPad!

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks guys

Kaz:unhappy composer:

Hi another question...I have had a moving map program running on my laptop for about 7 years and all has been good. A Bluetoothed a G-Sat GPS receiver provided position data until a few months ago when the position data went seriously awry.

I was told it was probably the GPS receiver so I purchased a Dual GPS 160. The laptop recognises it but doesn't seem to know what to do with it. No position data is transferring to the laptop. I tried it on two laptops, one running an older system and one on Windows 8. Still no go.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks guys

Kaz

the auster has just realised u are trying to use modern technology

Mick VH ABS

• Haha 2

Hi another question...I have had a moving map program running on my laptop for about 7 years and all has been good. A Bluetoothed a G-Sat GPS receiver provided position data until a few months ago when the position data went seriously awry.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks guys

Kaz, you might find a switch on the Dual160 to change the output data to NMEA ,it sound like it's waiting for an Apple!!(iOS)

I bought the 150 and it works a treat with the ipad. I was going to buy the 160, but i read a few reviews on it that described somewhat similar issues to what you are describing. From memory(or lack of) these issues where with ipads, But I suppose the same issue might apply to laptops.

Some suggested it was an IOS thus apple problem and that the apps needed updating .

See amazon for some reviews they might not help but may have the clues you need

http://www.amazon.com/XGPS-160-SkyPro-XGPS160-Receiver/dp/B00E65TNYE

Guest Andys@coffs

Kaz

What software are you using on the laptop....Is it Oziexplorer?

Beings as the old GPS is Bluetooth (So no wire between the GPS and your laptop correct? You weren't plugging it into the laptop with a USB lead?) you'll need to pair your laptop and the new GPS in the Bluetooth control panel. You'll also need to create a serial port for the device in the same control panel because that is how it communicates to the software and then in the software itself you have to tell it what type of GPS is hanging off it so it knows how to speak with it... Serial ports have a speed and a protocol defined in the port set up and the software and the port need to match...generally 9600baud 8bits 1 Stopbit (sometimes referred to as 9600 8N1)

sounds complicated but it only needs generally to be done once in its lifetime and then will work as soon as you turn it on in the future......

If you want you can ring me and I can try and talk you through it all else failing. PM me if you want to go down that path and I'll give you my mobile if you haven't already got it.

Andy

I have had a problem going the other way with a blue tooth gps that would not connect to my ipad. It turned out to be an issue with the way that the gps talked via Bluetooth they called it a "difference in the command stack" long story short the gps unit I bought will never work on an ipad. Worked fine with ozi explorer running on a laptop. Now with a new ipad with internal gps no more problems and no big laptop for now simple mapping apps.

The gps now sits in a draw so if you have no luck just flick me a message. And I can lend you this one to try out

Thank you to everyone for your replies.

Don, I do have an iPad and I run a Garmin Glonass to improve GPS accuracy. It runs Ozrunways.

I have used the laptop for about 7 years with a blue toothed GSat GPS receiver in the Auster. It is powered from the aircraft's bus and linked to a 7" TFT screen mounted above the pax door where I can see it. This is a ThinkPad with XP as the OS. It has one huge advantage over OzRunways in that it automatically chooses the best chart - VTC, VNC or WAC - for the aircraft's position at any point in time.

Andy, the laptop is running AirNav and I learned today that Sentient are no longer supporting the Windows GPS files for the moving map. I am starting to think that my copy of the program has been corrupted.

I have tried a second laptop running Windows 7 and can't get the dual to communicate properly with that, either. This one recognises the Dual but doesn't accept data from it.

The Dual works fine with the iPad.

MarcK, thank you. I still have the GSat but was hoping to use just one receiver for both iPad and laptop.

I'll have another try setting up the serial ports and see what happens.

Thanks again... I really appreciate your inputs

Kaz