Mountain flying

Hi all, does anyone know of a mountain and valley flying courses in Oz, I know there's a good one in NZ, preferably in Vic but travelling isn't an issue, but I would like to source someone with a lot of experience in the hills,

Cheers Matty

I lived in the snowies from 76 to 04 and flew around the mountains myself and with others over that period, had a trike in the mountains then a 172. There are a lot of tricks to learn flying around the mountains. Have flown in wild conditions, cold, hot, altitude, wind, snow and the one that is always a surprise, windshear. I was approaching to land in light gusty conditions and had wind shear and the thing fell out of the sky, nose down and lots of power with my passenger screaming, recovered close to the ground as expected but was terrifying and as I say tricks always steep approaches in mountainous areas, a flat approach would have been uncontrollable. I have also been hit by a serious Willi Willi on take off and struggled to hang on, I would thoroughly recommend flying around the mountains with an experienced pilot or instructor, you will learn a lot, I would suggest talking to Mike Apps at Polo Flat or Jindabyne Aero Club as there is an Raa instructor there as well. If you want a very savvy old retired mountain pilot GA instuctor who lives in the mountains who has also worked in New Guinea mountains flying who was my instructor PM me for his name and contact.

• Like 1

As well as weird winds, at high altitudes your aircraft runs out of climb performance. PNG will teach or kill you. Hills are worse when there is cloud all around them. The most dangerous clouds have big rocks inside them. There's lots of good advice about if you know where to get it. Nev

• Like 1

Cant speak highly enough of Ruth Presland at U-Fly Wanaka, in NZ. She also does mountain flying courses and the last time I enquired, the itinerary she had in mind was phenomenal, seriously, and I was just going to do two days.

I think it is mountainflying.co.nz is her other web site, but when flights over there lately have been $344 return, I know where I would be going!!!!

• Agree 3

seb, nothing beats local knowledge though. I think if i was flying Aussie alps id go there and find Mr Apps.. For me in NZ i might go Wanaka, although im based in Qtown

I might have to get her to fly over and pick me up.

This 40min video has some good stuff as well. Havent watched the whole thing yet

• Like 1
  • Informative 2