Drifter on Full Lotus floats............

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

We are currently fitting a set of Full Lotus floats to a Fisher Mk 1 Drifter (Austflight 503). We are having trouble tracking down any float attachment kits, or main landing gear attachment gear (amphibious ). If anyone out there has any experience with any of the above, or with attaching floats to a Drifter at all, could you please post back here or to Forumite Ian Wells.....Thanks in advance........Ian Wells or Maj........014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Hi Neil, Can't answer that question, sorry but I don't really know them that well . Thanks for your interest though....Cheers Ross

SO AWESOME!!! Keep us updated! Will you be putting ceconite on the tail or any other differences with regards to the fabric? Also what anti-corrosion measures are you taking?

Guest Maj Millard

We are aware that the tail may cop some spray, and are planning to apply some protective tape initially until we see just how much spray, and just where it hits. Ceconiting the tail will be an option.

I've spent my recent years maintaining C 208 and Beaver Amphibs, so very up to date with corrosion protection. The best being a real good fresh water hose down after any contact with salt, and then liberally applying a lanolin based protecting film on affected parts. Just part of operating an aircraft on salt water. Steel is the most subsceptable (bolts etc) but some alloys can rapidly come apart also if left exposed.

6061-t6 appears to have good resistance in a marine envioriment, but obviously the ideal seaplane is composite with all Stainless fittings which the old Drifter is not...........Maj......

Guest Maj Millard

This is the victim.........it has Wayne Fisher flaps on the full length ailerons (wider also) IE: flaperons, so we are hoping this will really help it get off and land on water. The original 'long pod' of Wayne's..............Maj.....

image.jpg.f3dc3b67fbc84bb23527ca50670b7d5a.jpg

We are aware that the tail may cop some spray, and are planning to apply some protective tape initially until we see just how much spray, and just where it hits. Ceconiting the tail will be an option.I've spent my recent years maintaining C 208 and Beaver Amphibs, so very up to date with corrosion protection. The best being a real good fresh water hose down after any contact with salt, and then liberally applying a lanolin based protecting film on affected parts. Just part of operating an aircraft on salt water. Steel is the most subsceptable (bolts etc) but some alloys can rapidly come apart also if left exposed.

6061-t6 appears to have good resistance in a marine envioriment, but obviously the ideal seaplane is composite with all Stainless fittings which the old Drifter is not...........Maj......

I would imagine you are well aware, but just in case, both the stainless and 6061 have good corrosion resistance, but put them together, and the 6061 will fall apart. There was an incident of tail boom failure, caused by corrosion, resulting in a fatality in the states. Looking at the photos, the failure originated under the ss bracket that the wing drag wires attach to.

While recently rebuilding mine I found dissimilar metal corrosion everywhere there was stainless or steel on aluminium, and it lived in central QLD for 20 years. The whole kit was reassembled after corrosion removal/part replacement, de-oxidined, alodined, and epoxy primed, inside and out, with an anzothane top coat. All stainless fittings had either special tape or polysulphide sealant applied on assembly. I look forward to seeing how it all pans out over the years.

A comprehensive inspection regime will be a necessity in the salt laden environment. But you already know that.

• Agree 1

Maj and Ian, I flew a drifter with a rotax 582 strut braced on Lotus Floats from the Gold Coast, the takeoff run is a bit longer but the ride onto the step is smooth and just takes a stiff pull back ( only small ) to break the surface tension and you are away, the one I flew had stearable rudders on the floats and handled very well at low speed. You loose about 8 or so knots in the cruise and side slipping is diminished a little, more drag more weight and the need to land on hard surfaces softly should all be on mind. I'm sure you will have a blast, the tail does get a little more contact with salt water, but very little, the tail is always kept high except at rotation and the flare, the landing distance is great, comes up short and controllable and will even take the 15 knot cross wind like normal.

If you want to off load the floats, I'll take them from you !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1