Farm airstrip length

jetjr

Y

Just checking this is in a J230? Gives me confidence if it is.I've got 400+ landings up in this aircraft and yes I have scared myself and still do occasionally by over shooting and runways not being long enough in unexpected conditions, "have another go" is said regularly when things don't play out as planned on approach.

Yes, a J230

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard

A few years back I was re insuring the Lightwing with a reputable company. On receiving the policy I question the use of 'standard aviation wording and coverage.'

I ask would I be covered if I was landing on an unimproved country field, country property road, or any other non-improved or approved landing site. Stated that this type of operation is common in rural areas, and well within the capabilities of the aircraft we fly.

Their reply was ; any suitable area that meets the manufacturers takeoff or landing figures as stated in the aircraft's ops manual would be approved.

I had them print it out as an attachment to the policy, just on case they forgot as they often conveniently do.........Maj....014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Hi Jet. . . .

As you are aware there are quite a few people on this forum who have some very sound advice with regard to your proposed airstrip. I have many hours on the ubiquitous and wonderfully pleasant Cessna 172, ( mainly in and around Australia, in hot, low air density conditions. . .)and I have to say that, if you only have 450 metres of strip at an elevation of 3200 feet or so, then please consider the use of another aeroplane type, unless you are quite a small framed, lightweight person,. . .and you only ever want to fly solo, . . .or you only intend to fly on very cold, winter days when there's a strong cool wind blowing straight down your strip. . . ( ! ).

Happy New Year

Phil

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It's all to easy ;) ,just need a kick ass maule and you can use your back yard,,,,,,,,Matty

What a wuss. . . . that strip would be a piece of P*** in my flexwing ! ! OR in the Kitfox,. . . .OR in the MW6. . . . . . Bloody yanks,. . .think they're special brew ( ! )

• Haha 1

A few years back I was re insuring the Lightwing with a reputable company. On receiving the policy I question the use of 'standard aviation wording and coverage.' ....

which would include compliance with relevant regs. CAO 20.7.4 is worth a read here. eg definition of landing distance available cf the para on landing distance required and the consideration of grass plus landing distance factor. Note landing distance measured from 50 ft above the ground. Similar for take-off (for the airplanes that I fly, landing distance is more critical).