King Air crash, Iceland drag strip

Guest Maj Millard

Air Safety Network (ASN) lists the crash in their database on the 5th August 2013, and states the aircraft was holding West of the airport waiting for other Fokker traffic to land ................Maj.......024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I can answer the questions you have asked above, but I'm trying to figure out whether you're actually serious!

Yes I am serious maybe you better put me right and explain how I have got it so wrong.

Guest Maj Millard
................. interesting - Maj do you mean holding up a drag raceHolding low over a drag race

or some other incident not related to a drag race

ASN safety report states the following :....5th August 2013. " A B200 Super Kingair was destroyed in an accident near Akureyri Airport (AEY), Iceland.. The medic and one of the pilots was killed. The other pilot recieved minor injuries.

The air ambulance plane had transported a patient to Reykjavik Iceland and was returning to Akureyri. Since a Fokker passenger plane was about to depart, the flight had to hold to the West of the airport.

While in a left hand turn, the airplane lost height. The LH wing touched the ground and the airplane broke up while impacting terrain at Hlioarfjall Rd, north of the airport. A post-impact fire erupted. " End of statement

No doubt the copilots real lucky day....!!!!!!..TF-MYX was the aircraft rego.......................Maj.....024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

OK…..

1) "Copilot the only survivor with minor injuries." The accident literature is littered with examples of improbable survival, including sole survivors with minor injuries in multi-crew cockpits. It's the luck of the draw.

2) "left wing down travelling to the right". Only relative to the fixed camera on the drag car. The plane is very clearly turning left throughout all the footage. It's approach down the drag strip is from an angle - left to right. There's nothing unusual about the direction of flight at all.

3) "wreckage moves to the left". As above, it was in a steep left turn. That's exactly what you'd expect.

4) "wreckage stops moving forward". You'd expect a plane to grind to a halt pretty quick after impact the ground like that, but you can't tell how far forward it travelled from the camera angle because the camera is almost directly behind it. If it was a side view we would be able to make a definitive judgement.

5) "Fire goes out". Well the initial fireball from the fuel igniting, yes. But it's clearly still smoking/smouldering afterwards. Nothing surprising there at all and you'll see the exact same phenomenon in other crashes, especially in cold, wet ambient conditions like there were at the time.

6) "Didn't sound like a turboprop". Besides the rumbling of the piston dragster motor in the background, it sounded exactly like a turboprop to me, and I have 4,500 hours multi-engine turboprop.

And why on earth would someone go to such an effort to make such incredibly realistic fake footage of an accident under investigation (and think they'd get away with it)?

• Agree 1

You may well be right with what you say, here are my thoughts about it.

OK…..1) "Copilot the only survivor with minor injuries." The accident literature is littered with examples of improbable survival, including sole survivors with minor injuries in multi-crew cockpits. It's the luck of the draw. I would like a piece of that sort of luck.

2) "left wing down travelling to the right". Only relative to the fixed camera on the drag car. The plane is very clearly turning left throughout all the footage. It's approach down the drag strip is from an angle - left to right. There's nothing unusual about the direction of flight at all. I thought very little turning to the left, no up elevator and slipped into the ground. just some back stick and it would be turning plus not hitting the ground, still can't understand why any pilot would do that?

3) "wreckage moves to the left". As above, it was in a steep left turn. That's exactly what you'd expect. I don't agree, to me it was not a steep turn just a steep bank angle and I would expect the wreckage to keep travelling in the same direction as the plane was going.

4) "wreckage stops moving forward". You'd expect a plane to grind to a halt pretty quick after impact the ground like that, but you can't tell how far forward it travelled from the camera angle because the camera is almost directly behind it. If it was a side view we would be able to make a definitive judgement. Once again I do not agree, the plane hit at a shallow angle I would not expect it to stop quickly.

5) "Fire goes out". Well the initial fireball from the fuel igniting, yes. But it's clearly still smoking/smouldering afterwards. Nothing surprising there at all and you'll see the exact same phenomenon in other crashes, especially in cold, wet ambient conditions like there were at the time. Maybe

6) "Didn't sound like a turboprop". Besides the rumbling of the piston dragster motor in the background, it sounded exactly like a turboprop to me, and I have 4,500 hours multi-engine turboprop. Maybe, I was going on what I have heard.

And why on earth would someone go to such an effort to make such incredibly realistic fake footage of an accident under investigation (and think they'd get away with it)? Why does any body put fake stuff on the internet? There have been many such cases involving aircraft.