Tell me im wrong.

Guest Andys@coffs
Thanks for bringing this up, Andy. The last time I made enquiries about increasing my PL cover the brokers were pretty dismissive of the need. Rather than all of us start shopping around, maybe someone could share their experiences and recommend a good broker.

I added it to my hull insurance and increased it to $10m.

For me the cost was a relatively small addition. Every one of us has different factors, where we fly, and therefore over who we fly. The broker I dealt with didn't wait for me to raise PL he suggested it immediately as part of the package. Now reality is that he is compensated on how much insurance he sells so its not exactly purely a benevolent view, but as we say there is nothing so useless as the fuel on the ground or the runway behind you or in this case the PL insurance you didn't take up......

Andy

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a case ongoing at present in this country, which demonstrates this new era very well, and as usual the only real winners are the law firms.....there is no such thing as a gentleman s' game anymore......Maj.....

Problem is too many gentlemen were killing and maiming the public and couldn't have cared less; now they have to pay for their damage as well as picking up their dog crap from neighbours driveways.

The winners certainly are not just the law firms; many people who would otherwise have a marginal life, or say of blinded would have to accept a lower wage now have security for life if someone has been negligent. If they've been killed, their families can invest the award and get continuing income to replace the lost husband/father's income.

Work out what your family would need to educate the children, service and renew car, maintenance on house etc, and you'll see the death payments which sound a lot are not excessive over 40 years or so.

Same with a quadriplegic - total house remodel, cranes, facilities, full time nursing staff on shift, physio for 30 years or so.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just for information I know our flying school requires all RA-Aus aircraft to have $2 million public liability and we strongly suggest all aircraft are owned, operated and maintained by a company. This provides a level of cover to people injured and limits the liability of the owners. Insurance cost is around $2,600 per annum (with $60-80k hull coverage). All student pilots and instructors are then covered by RA-Aus for public liability purposes is my understanding. The school then holds its own Public Liability and hangerkeepers insurance on top of this.

The GA aircraft have the same requirements however the Public Liability for them is included in the policy also - $500k -$1 million per seat. Cost is around $3k per annum for $70-80k hull cover. Also all owned and operated under company structure.

The beauty of having a good accountant?

• Agree 1

ye

A certain amount of Board confidentiality is necessary for the board (any board), to operate as they do. Believe me, the average member would not even want to deal with half the rubbish a board member has come his way, on a daily basis. You may for a day or two, but after that you would say 'to hell with all that'.....if on the other hand you enjoy that sort of stuff and making difficult decisions on behalf of your fellow sportsman and women , then raise your hand next time an election opportunity comes your way.I do my best to release information that I think the members need and deserve to see, as best I can...on this forum, and to members individually.

I have to respect the board confidentially otherwise I would be removed from the loop. And a board member out of the information loop, is of no purpose as a board member to anyone........ask the few ex board members of recent times who couldn't handle confidentially, just how valuable they are now to the membership ........Maj.....

yep thats true,i havent been on this forum long or a member of raa long however i have been involved in other board (bored) like meetings and believe me if you got to hear some of the rubbish that went on you wouldnt want to know everything that was said. confidentialty clauses i think are pretty much standard these days plus like the other member said you certainly dont want different stories from everywhere being circulated.Tony King is my local rep here where i am and im happy to go to him specifically if i have any queries or questions and am happy to wait for an answer if he cant tell me straight away.If he has to wait for the answer himself so be it.I guess the longer im here and the more i get involved then i will be able to form my own opinions.