QANTAS LINK -8 Q300 engine failure/shut down

Hello,

Yesterday 29th Jan , our afternoon chartered flight from Brisbane to Miles had a engine failure or the crew shut down one of the engines approx 15 minutes into the flight to Miles and returned to Brisbane. I wasn't on the aircraft as I am currently half way through my 14 day shift. I was wondering does anybody know what the cause was ? Our company has ask what the problem was but they haven't been told anything from QANTAS Link as of this afternoon.

We charter a lot of QANTAS link flights per week so it is understandable the company I work for would like some answers. They may still get a answer of course, but I was wondering if anybody knows something already.

I was talking to a guy at work this morning who was on the plane. He is a mechanic , he said that the aircrew shut the engine down (inflight shut down) due to multiple engine caution lights illuminating. Still dunno the exact cause yet.

Had a QL BAE146 lose an engine about 10 years ago. Didnt concern me too much (still had 3 engines) but the steward went white as a ghost.....

Returned to Perth for a replacement a/c. The steward didnt board the second a/c and we all had a little chuckle about that. Poor fella......

I am currently doing my MECIR at YBAF and one of my instructors told me that his mate who is an engineer with them said that the engine auto-feather failed to operate, thus producing a lot more drag on the dead engine. The aircraft was struggling to climb and was only at 1500ft by the time it was overhead YBAF. It continued climbing to 2000ft before conducting a large circuit back to land (due to the propellers not being feathered).

• Informative 1

The 300 out of Brissie had an un-commanded Auto-Feather which although gets your attention, isn't the end of the world. Since the prop has feathered, you just have to secure it and come back and land.

• Like 1

I am currently doing DIDO instead of FIFO at the moment, nothing to do with the above., more to do with the knob jockeys I work for wanting us to hang around for 5 hours after we knock off after a 14 day shift and wait until 4PM to take a -8 out of Miles QLD ( we officially knock off at 11 AM, so if I drive I can leave at that time, I did it today 375 kays took 4 hours 20 minutes) .

Hi Ryanm, the mob i work for charter QANTAS Link - 8 two flights per day on monday wednesday and friday. We are still using the. -300 which only having 50 seats doesnt fit everybody on it on wednesday, wednesday is our shift change day. The monday and friday flights are mainly used for engineers who fly out and stay the week. Coming in on monday and leaving on friday. What currently happens is that we never have a proper hand over to the next shift coming in as we only have a bout 10 minutes to talk to each before we get on the aircraft they judt got off. So in the future, they want the out going shift to stay back until the 4 pm flight

Turbo props can absorb a vast amount of power if the prop won't feather fully or at all. 3 times the shaft horsepower would be easily possible so the situation can be serious as well as the overspeed considerations with the prop as well. Nev