Virgin Blue plane in emergency landing

August 13, 2007 08:12pm

Article from: AAP

A VIRGIN Blue Boeing 737 carrying 120 passengers and six crew has made an emergency landing in central Queensland.

Virgin Blue spokeswoman Amanda Bolger said a pilot noticed a light in the cockpit, indicating there was a fluid leak in one of the engines during the flight from Brisbane to Hamilton Island around 2pm (AEST) today.

"In keeping with standard procedure, the aircraft diverted to Rockhampton and landed without incident," Ms Bolger said.

The passengers disembarked while engineers checked the faulty engine and a replacement aircraft brought in from Brisbane to take the passengers to their destination, she said.

A spokesman for the Air Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), which examines aircraft incidents and accidents, said today's diversion did not warrant further investigation.

Anything north of Brisbane is North Queensland to Brisbaneites, just like anything west of Katoomba is Western New South Wales to Sydneysiders. Other states have similar problems.

David

Rocky and also Gladstone are officially Central Qld. We just don't recognise anything West of the dividing range as being in Qld it seems.

Central Qld stretches from Gladstone to Mackay and West to Longreach officially

Guest disperse

just like anything west of Katoomba is Western New South Wales to Sydneysiders.

Don't you mean anything west of parramatta:laugh: Ahhh its tough being a Westie

Disperse I dunno, it gets my goolies when people say something about a crime or something in "WESTERN SYDNEY" and it's at somewhere like bloody Ashfield or something. But then have flown with heaps of guys who think that after Dubbo, Perth is only a short hop away as that is generally the extent of their nav experience. One mate who shall remain un-named lives in the leafier parts of Sydney's Northern Burbs and couldn't believe how far out it was to my place at Penrith at the time.

Guest brentc

Speaking of Katoomba, I read that a u/l crashed there yesterday and landed in a tree. Something about a gust on landing or takeoff. Didn't hear anything more than that.

Guest disperse

i took a bus ride from sydney to perth.......is a GOOD way to get some idea as to just how big this wonderful island is !!

ps.. would have to be a really really good reason to EVER do that again

pps. born and breed in gladstone QLD and it is definitly CENTRAL QLD as QLD also has a area known as FAR north QLD which from memory starts around cairns and go's up to YORK

ppps IVE BEEN WRONG BEFORE AND IT MAY JUST HAPPEN AGAIN SOMEDAY

I flew across in a Nomad once interesting trip. we spent some time just west of Forest wandering around under thunderstorms. it is a big empty place and the ground is not as flat as you would like in an out landing. I also did a few trips to katherine (manbaloo) in a twin otter and i thought that the leg between Isa and Katherine to be more isolated. No vhf, nav aids and before gps.

the photo is of a salt lake south westish of kalgoolie (kambala)

ozzie

Untitled-4.thumb.jpg.9f86320715eaa69f488dd9b99f30e907.jpg

I know that picture

ozzie, is that the N22 from Sydney Skydivers? At 140 odd kts you would have had plenty of time to survey the coutryside.

I spent many hours sitting on the bare floor of that aircraft(VH-SNX)hoping that it would make it to 12,500ft so I could get out.There was also a white one called VH-WRT,neither of them filled me with confidence.Both rego's have now been re-allocated now so hopefully the nomads have retired and won't be scaring any skydivers again soon.

Parramatta is part of Sydney? i thougth NSW ended west of Glebe!

sorry, i grew up in The Bubble and lived in Paddington..

When I grew up in Cronulla, anything west of Caringbah was pretty far out !! The Shire is/was an interesting place.

Guest Fred Bear
Don't you mean anything west of parramatta:laugh: Ahhh its tough being a Westie

"St Marys/Colyton"? "Where is that"?

You and I both mate, you and I both 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif You must be somewhere close to me. May be good to catch up...

The Nomad was SNX it was an ex safety council N22. It replaced DNM that was totalled at leongatha. WRT replaced the N24 BRP that gear up at corowa. they paid my wages for several years and filled up my scedual of experience logs real quick. loved/hated working on them but always sat near the door. on the other hand you couldn't keep me out of pelican's twin otter;)

we have possibly met.

280027391_nomadvhbrp4me.jpg.f5934cc3206bd5b46bf71fcb139e9617.jpg

1628830191_N222vhsnxonjacks2.jpg.19837937fc503acb5229dcdaf67355d2.jpg

We have definately met Steve.

We shared a DZ at Elderslie for years and have survived an adventure or two together.I left there about '99 taking with me a 5ft tall skydiver/C185 pilot(Kerry),who is now my wife.You would know me as Hog.Neither of us have jumped out of a plane since 2002,but have been flying quite a bit.Good to see you're still kicking 'round mate,I'll look you up when I'm next up that way.

Used to drive N22 ATO. Mainly flew Abalone and Crays but also did a bit of throwing guys/girls out the side at Pakenham. Found all jumpers great fun but insane. Nomads were great fun for watching the world go by. Just dont cover them in ice. Can remember lusting over the Twotter at Corowa and had a ball goin for a spin in the Shorts Skyvan that flew up there one year

Hog me ol mate. worlds small. more than an adventure or two.

i have just been sorting out some old video footage about 150 hrs worth mainly elderslie. i'll send you a PM when i get back home to Greta on the weekend.

Robes

ATO was one of the better nomads. twotters skyvans what a great period that was.