RAAus and engine-off

Bruce Tuncks

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like a Prius ,just push the button and silently move forward,,,unless we have a horn fitted as suggested elsewhere.As for shutting the engine down, our roots are in 2strokes when an engine stoppage was a matter of when not if, now a lot of our aircraft are fitted with an engine that has an ,,,erm,,, reputation ,,,,,I'd like to think the first time you have to deal with a stoppage isn't alone ( or worse ,with a loved one on board) ,I thank my instructor for the training I've had, some schools not doing some things that should be done, I've met pilots from a certain Qld school who have NEVER actually stalled an aircraft ,the FI did the stall, and recovered immediately ,the student sat and watched,,,,I've got a mate who did a check ride in a Vic GA school with a instructor who wouldn't let him stall an aerobatic aircraft,,,,to me that is terribly dangerous! The instructor has a duty to prepare the student to avert dying,,,,tootleling around the sky on a nice day is a side benefit

Matty

Thats pathetic. Some instructors are awesome some are pathetic. These billy goats shouldnt be training if the lack the confidence or ability to teach a stall.

• Agree 1

Thats pathetic. Some instructors are awesome some are pathetic. These billy goats shouldnt be training if the lack the confidence or ability to teach a stall.

You'd be surprised at what isn't taught, I've been generally lucky, I can only think of a couple of instructors I'd never get in a plane with, but some are pretty hopeless. Word of mouth is a real good thing, newbies don't really know what's what's but if you keep your ears open and mouth shut you usually find out who's worth putting you life with,

Matty

• Like 1

I`ve had my fair share of engine failures over the years so I know what it`s all about from experience. I have no problems with stoping the engine and I make sure I keep my skill at it sharp, with regular practice. I do have my own strip on my property to land on though.

There`s a fair amount of support for ' engine off ' training being done in gliders. I`ve never flown gliders but I have been up in two. One with and one without an engine. With the variety of aircraft being flown by RA-Aus pilots, I believe that training in a glider is not going to prepair them for the real thing in their own powered aircraft. Gliders have a far greater glide ratio than any powered aircraft flown by RA-Aus pilots, so there will be a vast difference between the capability of the two aircraft. Also,in a glider, there`s not the psychological shock that comes with the reality of an engine stopping suddenly. There are other factors also.

Of course the risk increases by stoping the engine in flight training. To deny it is being foolish. It might help in determining if it`s worth the risk by taking a look at the number of engines that have failed and the amount of aircraft damaged because of it. Also, if there have been any accidents due to the engine being stoped in training.

Frank.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

I used to be a CFI and I have done and have taught hundreds or thousands of dead-stick landings

Well done Hitc. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif....Your students would have become better and safer pilots because of it.

I'm not a CFI anymore so presumably I'm not as capable as I used to be because I'm not allowed to switch the donk off anymore. Well I suppose they're right, by not switching it off I'll reduce my skill level so I shouldn't be allowed to switch it off

A damn shame! but I reckon you`re wise enough to know what to do. 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

Frank.