Mechanically impaired

See if you can find someone who is building something like a Jabiru or an RV and pay them a visit - or better still, several visits to see the progress. That will give you a feel for structures and materials and the way aircraft are constructed which in turn gives a good insight into how they are repaired/maintained, and with what.

The good thing about this is you are looking at an actual aeroplane instead of a car or other vehicle. There are fundamental differences in construction philosophy between aeroplanes and every other form of transport, and understanding what those differences are is enormously helpful.

I have yet to meet an aeroplane-builder who resented anyone taking an interest in what they are doing.

• Agree 2

All the bits went back? ALL the bits? C'mon now, NOBODY gets all the bits back....

I used to keep a jar for all the bits that I couldn't work out where they went. And then other bikes had their spare bits added. Eventually it was remarkable just how often I could find bits I needed for yet another unrelated bike in that jar years later. Possibly not best practice in aviation though, although the weight reduction can't be denied!

I am glad to see someone concerned about the result of their mechanical endevours. Over the last few years I have had two a/c and two sailboats and in the course have inspected many home maintained vehicles. Many are operated with major structural, electical, fuel system and design defects. My latest accusition has miles of wiring added over 30 years by various owners, many connections held together with the twist of two wires and some peeling electrical tape. The fact that only the occasional plane falls out of the sky is more good luck than good maintainance.