RPL will actually suit me.

Dazz,something tells me that a GA CFI wont accept the RAAus Xcountry endo without extra training. Remember the PPL X Country training is twice the hours of RA Aus. I think this area is going to be a problem when converting from RAAus to RPL.

It's not up to a GA CFI, you just have to send a copy if your RAA cert to CASA with that endorsement on it.

Step - 1 a Fill out a RPL application form with a copy of you RAA- cert, a photo of yourself and proof of identification.

CASA - issues your RPL with the endorsements you ALREADY have on you a RAA certificate.

Step 2- you then go to a GA school with the RPL licence THAT YOU HAVE ALREADY HAVE RECEIVED from CASA. To have your airplane flight review . If you fail that review then you cannot exercise your licence right. No different to if a PPL fails a AFR. It is written in black and whit and easy to follow.

You are of course correct old mate. Just call me cynical, some CFIs out there have a bad rap in this regard. If you already have the RPL it should NOT be a problem ... we hope.

From the CASA website http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_101934

"I already hold a pilot certificate issued by RA-Aus. How do I obtain an RPL?

A pilot certificate is equivalent to an RPL. To get your RPL you will need to complete an application form (this will be available on the CASA website prior to the commencement of the new regulations), provide evidence of your pilot certificate, submit a recent photograph and provide appropriate proof of your identity. You will also need to undertake a flight review before you can use your licence.

Your new licence will grant you the relevant category rating, aircraft class rating and design feature endorsements. You will also be granted a recreational navigation endorsement if your pilot certificate authorises you to conduct cross-country flights and if you meet the minimum flight times."

.. and those minimum flight times from http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/lib100191/rr61_rpl_fs.pdf

"recreational navigation endorsement (this requires minimum flight time of five hours solo cross-country and a minimum of two hours dual instrument time of which at least one hour is instrument flight time)."

i.e. you will need the IF time and that solo time before applying to CASA for the navigation endorsement.

Some flying schools are currently unaware that their GFPTs can also apply to be given an RPL as of 1/9/14 with immediate changes in their privileges.

It is worth reading CASA's CAAP on flight reviews before arranging your flight review.

They appear to have dropped the requirement for 2 hours instrument time for the RPL.

http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_101585

For a recreational pilot licence (RPL) you must be at least 16 years old. You must have a current medical certificate (this may be either Class 1 or 2, or a recreational aviation medical). However, there are conditions on the number of passengers you can carry if you hold a recreational aviation medical certificate only.

Applicants must:

• have 25 hours’ flight time (comprising 20 hours dual and five hours solo),

• pass an aeronautical exam with the associated rating,

• pass a flight test.

RPL holders are limited to:

• 25nm from the aerodrome where the flight began, the designated training area, or a direct route between the two,

• day VFR private operations in a single engine aircraft. If an individual already holds a pilot certificate issued by a recreational aviation administration organisation or a GFPT, they will be able to exercise the privileges of a RPL after they have conducted a flight review.

This is also reflected on the proposed new forms

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/lib100191/3form61-1ra.pdf

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/lib100191/fc-61-1re.pdf

You are of course correct old mate. Just call me cynical, some CFIs out there have a bad rap in this regard. If you already have the RPL it should NOT be a problem ... we hope.

I agree David, no doubt that some CFI,s will look at extending the AFR or retraining somebody who may not need it. ( I'm sure some people will need more training ) . Word gets around if people are getting ripped off.

MOST GA BFR's are now conducted by doing a small cross country exercise (usually about two hours). My last review (CPL) was out of Sunshine Coast airport (class D so clearance required) to Gympie with touch and go, to overhead Maryborough then return to Sunshine coast. During this last leg we did some upper air work then a simulated forced landing onto Tin Can bay airstrip then the Class D arrival. I am sure that IF the candidate is up to speed then the instructor doing the review would sign the log book. He is NOT issuing a licence or rating.

That is interesting. I have never done a GA BFR with any cross country component ever. Most of my flying was long distance so my assumption is that the CFI(s) decided it wasn't necessary given that I must have got back from the places I went to seeing I was in the left hand seat during the BFR. CAAP 5.81-1 (1) 2010 section 10 says it is up to the assessor to determine whether a Nav exercise is necessary. It also says in section 8.4 that the BFR should be designed on the last 2 years flying and what is anticipated in the next 2 years so maybe assessors are now adopting the C.A.R.E. philosphy. (Cover Arce Retain Employment) & getting more money out of the BFRee.

The way I read it, the cross country endorsement to the RPL will even allow you to fly greater than 25nm from the airfield. Additionally, the controlled airspace and controlled aerodrome endorsements are what is needed to allow access to controlled airspace and airfields.

So a RA Aus pilot certificate with a cross country endorsement converted to the RPL with the controlled airspace and controlled aerodrome endorsements will be very liberating. Bring on Sept 1 (and an amenable GA flight instructor to do the flight review and grant the appropriate endorsements...).

http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_101934

What limitations will apply to the holder of an RPL?

Before using your RPL, you will need to:

• have a current flight review for the aircraft being flown (see CASA’s information sheet about flight reviews for more details)

• meet the medical requirements

• have conducted three take-offs and landings in the previous 90 days if you wish to carry passengers

• have a class 1 or 2 medical certificate to fly above 10,000ft, or have another pilot with you who has a class 1 or 2 medical certificate who is occupying a flight control seat in the aircraft and is authorised to pilot the aircraft.

Unless you hold a navigation endorsement you are also limited to flying within 25 nautical miles of your departure aerodrome, your flight training area and the route between your departure aerodrome and the flight training area.

You need to have a flight radio endorsement if you are going to use the aircraft radio during the flight.

If you want to fly in controlled airspace, you must hold a controlled airspace endorsement.

If you want to fly at a controlled aerodrome, you must hold a controlled aerodrome endorsement.

That is interesting. I have never done a GA BFR with any cross country component ever. Most of my flying was long distance so my assumption is that the CFI(s) decided it wasn't necessary given that I must have got back from the places I went to seeing I was in the left hand seat during the BFR. CAAP 5.81-1 (1) 2010 section 10 says it is up to the assessor to determine whether a Nav exercise is necessary. It also says in section 8.4 that the BFR should be designed on the last 2 years flying and what is anticipated in the next 2 years so maybe assessors are now adopting the C.A.R.E. philosphy. (Cover Arce Retain Employment) & getting more money out of the BFRee.

It seems that the Instructors have been "guided" by the CAAP.....

4.4 To be a successful collaboration, the person undergoing the

review and the assessor have a shared responsibility. This

responsibility requires an honest statement of the flying activities

that have been undertaken over the past two years, and more

importantly an indication of what type of flying the pilot

anticipates performing during the next two years. CASA

recommends the inclusion of a navigation exercise in each flight

review. In determining whether to conduct a navigation exercise

the assessor should take into account if the previous flight review

included a navigation exercise.

The assessor should then plan an appropriate flight review for the

pilot’s prevailing circumstances, and be willing to commit time and

effort to identify deficiencies in skills and knowledge, and then to

provide remedial instruction and advice as required.

Most of the pilots I know who have done an AFR recently have done a short cross country as described in my earlier post.

I think CASA have been pushing the issue at CFI seminars.

Cheers

Dazz,something tells me that a GA CFI wont accept the RAAus Xcountry endo without extra training. Remember the PPL X Country training is twice the hours of RA Aus. I think this area is going to be a problem when converting from RAAus to RPL.

David,

Acceptance of the RAAus cross-country endo will depend on many points: aircraft capacity, how many flights were undertaken, how long were they, what was trained during them, your total x/c hours, recency in x/c. Some co-located RAAus schools fly exactly the same x/c's as the GA school but stop at nav 5 or 6. They usually do 15-16 hrs rather than the minimum 10 - and only need another 2 navs to complete the full PPL in something like a 172. Generally, I don't think it's going to prove a problem provided the converting pilot can interpret a met forecast, compile a flight & fuel plan, and fly safely. It might take only 1-1.5 hrs if they demonstrate competence, but perhaps more if otherwise.

To make the best out of the RPL, my advice is for RAAus pilots to forget about the DL(Aviation)Medical - go for Class 2 and be able to negotiate your future health blips, and also be able to then fly more than 1 pax, and also to be able to do CTA/CTZ endo.

happy days,

• Like 1
  • Informative 1