Shock Cooling

Camel

Hey frank, (and others in the game)

I've been taught to hold cruise power I. Descent, and with that if your at a095 and you only get say 21" (CIO520) then maintain that if low maintain SOPcruisr setting and gradually reduce power towards the bottome of descent, say reduce from 23- 21" with 3k' to run and 21-19" entering the circuit or 5ish miles then continue on to base power settings and what not. But, on a short sector when you only get to say A025 it would be top of descent, entering and base. Question is, is that "normal?" IE is that how most operators will perform it? I hope that came across ok

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a reason to put a temperature sender in the engine water intake hose & see what's going on, then. I do prefer the bypass style of installation. I doubt what Rotax put on the 582 is that style, which means I'll be modifying it and adding a manual override valve to it.

The blue top 582 does have a bypass system, they grey head doesn't. I recently replaced the thermostat in my grey head, with a 160 F thermostat, the 140 F wasn't maintaining an adequate temp. I am assuming that by "bypass",you mean it recirculates instead of deadheading the water pump.

The blue top 582 does have a bypass system, they grey head doesn't. I recently replaced the thermostat in my grey head, with a 160 F thermostat, the 140 F wasn't maintaining an adequate temp. I am assuming that by "bypass",you mean it recirculates instead of deadheading the water pump.

Yes.

• Informative 1

Yes, the blue-head 582 does indeed have a bypass-type thermostat - and if the size of the bypass line is anything to go by, it is designed to handle the full water-pump flow. So when the thermostat starts to open, the cold water that starts to flow from the radiator is fed into the hot recirculating flow, and the mixture of the two goes into the base of the cylinder block. Sounds to me like as good a fix for shock cooling as one is likely to find. And you get the benefit of a fast warm-up.