A little learning... and a new item on my checklist.

Hmmmm left drift, a little right rudder, nope... more... more... crap, the nose is shuddering, straighten it NOW!

Sh*t why is it still turning into the fence?

Power? NO! You'll hit the fence before you get up again.

BRAKE BRAKE, a little more right brake... that's better...

...such was my thought process as my soft-as-silk landing tried to become a side-fence incident.

I'd taken a friend up with me for a mid-morning joy flight and it had all gone well... until just now.

With the right main down, we were still pointed exactly where I wanted to be. The drama started when the left main touched down and immediately the nose started pulling to the left.

It didn't occur to me, immediately, a brake might be sticking. I will admit to a split second of confusion that while the push was in the right direction for crosswind, it didn't feel like cross wind effect. The nose was turning left.

There isn't a huge explanation... but I've added checking and rechecking my pax's feet position to my checklist and ensuring I physically look on late final, just to be sure.

Anyway, sufficiently slowed and about to clear 12 at YBCM I commented to he who shall not be named that "Well, I have certainly done better... we either had a sticky brake or"... I glanced at his left leg and followed it to the floor...

"Mate, can you do me a favour and slowly pull your left foot back for me".

And with it came the left heel brake...

"Keep clear of the controls please, cheers" isn't sufficient. Actually checking, might be. A narrower runway and we'd have been off it. Actually, if I am honest, a stronger brake (disc setup maybe?) and we'd have hit the fence regardless.

Lessons... I just learned one.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I had a similar experience.

A passenger of mine, in my J 230d, thought we were not slowing down fast enough on landing, and applied the phantom brake,

In this case, the left rudder pedal.

We began to drift to the left, and as I corrected, I found the rudder pedal immovable.

"Get your $&;-/?@& foot of the brake."

Then every thing returned to normal, I too, now include the foot flat on the floor as part of my passenger briefing.

Earl Pike.

• Agree 1

I generally include a comment in my briefing about some "really stupid" passengers who've let their feet get near the pedals. That seems to do the trick... :)

• Like 2

I did this to my instructor about halfway through my training after we went for a quick squirt to checkout a possible cow bogged in the neighbours dam. Landing back on the rough end of my cross strip, I thought the depression across the end was still coming up too fast, so I helped him with the brakes. It seemed the right thing to do at the time, sorry Bill!

• Winner 1

In the 60's there were several incidents of tyres being scuffed or blown by brakes being on at touchdown. Mostly, it was due to very pointy toe shoes - (in fashion when the Beatles were starting). The DCA advice then was to include the statement - 'toes off the brakes' in the pre-landing checklist. When I began my t/w training in C180/185 in 1965 - 'toes off the brakes' was definitely in the pre-landing checklist.

The Stearman accident was probably due braking but the wheeler was very much dropped on (level), and gave the pilot little chance of saving it by elevator use. An alternative technique, the 'tail low wheeler' does require some elevator use, and the aircraft is less likely to nose over as quickly. It gives you more time to save the bird.

happy days,

You think you have problems with passengers, I have problems with other pilots. I'm used to it now and politely ask them to move their feet. At first I wondered why my rudder was heavy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1