One wing done!

Marty_d

Ok ok... I know I should have probably posted this in the aircraft forums, but dammit, I'm happy to reach this particular milestone!

Everything done bar the root skin, which gets trimmed and riveted when attaching to the fuselage. And a couple of inspection covers, which will wait until I get some anchor nuts from Aircraft Spruce.

The third photo shows the tank vent, which like the Sav plans goes from the filler cap through both skins and out the bottom. Difference is, I decided to use a piece of aluminium tube, the plastic vent tube supplied with the tank fits tightly inside.

Workbench is now free for the second wing...

Well done Marty, when you see a major component done its time to crack a beer and reflect, dream of flying.......

Enjoy building while you can, but you are working yourself out of a job:thumb up:012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Well done Marty, when you see a major component done its time to crack a beer and reflect, dream of flying.......Enjoy building while you can, but you are working yourself out of a job:thumb up:012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Thanks mate - I've been neglecting the home brewing in favour of the plane so I can't crack a beer, have had a couple of wines though. Trust me though, when I look up from ditch digging today and see some lucky **** tooling around in his old Cessna, I look forward to finishing the build!!

Enjoy building while your eyesight holds up, I am pretty sure it is like sex, lot of fun but makes you go blind!

I thought that was only solo sex:roflmao:.... well, guess I'm going blind one way or the other...

I see you didn't use the critical update, any reason for that?

Well I guess it won't be a big effort as you only have to drill out about half the rivets to get in there to do it.

Marty:

From the looks of the photos, you didn't put any corrosion protection inside the wing. Given what's happening with the SIDs on the Cessnas, would you consider painting the wings internally? BTW, corrosion inside the wings was an issue that also hit some Sav owners.

BTW, corrosion inside the wings was an issue that also hit some Sav owners.

Never heard of it but I am sure we would all be interested in your source. Surface paint peeling has been an issue on some wing and fuselage sheet joins. Sheet preparation and painting preparation go a long way to taking care of that.

Marty:From the looks of the photos, you didn't put any corrosion protection inside the wing. Given what's happening with the SIDs on the Cessnas, would you consider painting the wings internally? BTW, corrosion inside the wings was an issue that also hit some Sav owners.

Hi Scott,

I used primer on all the internal surfaces that mated together (rib flanges, spar caps etc). Also the aluminium is 6061-T6, which as I understand it, is corrosion resistant. Obviously the external surfaces will be painted or polished.

Cheers, Marty

Also the aluminium is 6061-T6, which as I understand it, is corrosion resistant.

Apparently it's supposed to be more corrosion resistant than some other grades but just looking at a fuselage with 6061 skins yeah seems to me it corrodes (or at least oxidizes significantly). Dryer climate here than TAS too I'd imagine.

Maybe ask the SAAA guys....

Never heard of it but I am sure we would all be interested in your source. Surface paint peeling has been an issue on some wing and fuselage sheet joins. Sheet preparation and painting preparation go a long way to taking care of that.

Source: a couple of sav owners who will remain unnamed. But they had to drill holes in wings and pump them full of ACF50....

I painted all the rivet lines on the sheets ahead riveting to get a layer of primer under each rivet head. Properly deburring the sheets so they don't bite into each other is just as important.

According to the Canadian Zenith guys in the metalworking 101 DVD, best way to debur is running a fine file over both sides of the drill holes. I've been doing that.

Apparently it's supposed to be more corrosion resistant than some other grades but just looking at a fuselage with 6061 skins yeah seems to me it corrodes (or at least oxidizes significantly). Dryer climate here than TAS too I'd imagine.Maybe ask the SAAA guys....

Asked the question of what builders were doing to corrosion-proof their planes on the Zenith.aero site. There were a range of responses from absolutely nothing to full 2-coat priming. In order to actually get on with the building I decided to go with what seemed to be the most common, which is priming any internal surface that touches another surface, which apparently is the most common place for corrosion. Climate is a factor, I think areas close to the coast would be more of a factor (ie salt). Anyway it's a moot point, the wing's buttoned up now.