Adelaide based newbie

Guest basscheffers

Guest basscheffers

Hey everyone,

I just got to Adelaide (from the Netherlands via London) and am wanting to get my recreational license.

I am a 30 year old guy, married to an aussie (which is how I ended up here) with twins on the way.

Might as well start with some questions:

Any recommendations? I found Adelaide Biplanes at Aldinga, which looks quite good. There's also some schools at Parafield, but they seem both more expensive (geared towards GA and people making a career out of flying) and I believe Aldinga is not in controlled airspace, which seems like a plus for recreational flying.

And then the biggie (no pun intended): I am a big bloke. 1.92m and 100KG. Would I fit somewhat comfortably in something like a Sportstar? Looking at the Sportstar's (aussie) MTOW and clean weights, it doesn't look like if I want to take my equally sized brother up we'll be able to do it on full tank!

Hope you can help me out here a bit!

Cheers,

Bas.

Guest Andys@coffs

Hi Bas

Im based in Adelaide. Where in Adelaide do you live? Once I know that I can tell you what alternates are available to you.

Andy

Guest basscheffers

Hi Andy, right now I am in Parkside, but in the long run, we'll be moving to Mount Barker late next year when out house there will be finished.

Hi Bas

Perhaps you may like to send a PM to Ed Herring here at the forums - he is the Snr Instructor at Murray Bridge and a forum moderator here - pick his brains as he is a top guy and very helpful

G'day Bas,

I live at Morphett Vale and am an associate member of Aldinga Aero Club, but I prefer to drive the 1.25 hours to Murray Bridge. I learnt, and still fly with the Recreational Pilots Academy run by James Hubbard. He only has Jabiru's and a Lightwing that's undergoing a long term rebuild. They have very nice facilities and a BBQ lunch every Thursday. Niel Wickens,one of the instructors is also from the Netherlands and is a very good instructor, as are the other three. Give them a call on (08) 85321456, if know one is there, your call will be automatically diverted to James mobile.

BTW, WELCOME to Australia, you'll love Mt Barker even though it's growing faster than the grass in the paddocks that used to be there.

Cheers, Doug

Guest Andys@coffs

Hi Bas

Like all the others have said, Murray Bridge will be the solution for you with where you will be living. It has a significant benefit in that its not that far fromyou, and is out in the countryside and as such has plenty of outlanding options if that ever becomes an issue. Aldinga doesnt have the same safety options. Gawler does, but would be further to go. If Microlights become your thing then Strathalbyn would be the choice.

Regards

Andy

Welcome Bas

Hi there welcome to Down Under, check this out http://www.mblafs.com.au/ there are 4 or 5 different types of aircraft which Mike has on line at Murray Bridge, we are a satalite to his school and about 220km drive north of Adelaide. A bit far, however when you do your training Drop in to Jamestown for a cuppa and a chat!

Cheers Guy

Guest basscheffers

Sounds like Murray Bridge is the place for me, yes!

I looked into the Jabiru 160 and that seems like it would fit me well; both in performance and size wise. The usable load should be enough for two big guys and cabin width should be fine too - I won't be taking it cross country after all. The 50" Foxbat would be better in that regard, but nobody seems to be teaching or hiring them down here according to Silverwing.

I shall give them a call quite soon. Thanks for your suggestions!

Guest basscheffers

Hmm, looks like two options at Murray Bridge, MBLAFS or RPA.

Anyone have any preference for either and why?

I am basically looking to join a club and be social with other pilots and their entourages!

Hi Bass,

I'm currently on holiday in the upper murray area and will be home tomorrow or the day after. I'll drop you a pm when I get there with some other info re Murray Bridge schools. How I hate internet cafe's.

Cheers, Doug