THE TAX SYSTEM EXPLAINED IN BEER.

Thruster87

The Pie Maker economy encourages more pies to be made so that, in a lesser or greater way, everyone benefits. Encouraging production in an economy gives employment (providing income and self-esteem to the workers), tax income for governments for roads, defence, police, and a relatively small amount for the unemployed.

The Pie Cutter economy is where the government tries to cut the tax pie into as many pieces as possible. The recipients represent people on all kinds of government "benefits" ...as they are called (it used to be known as "social security expenses"). The more Pie Cutters are elected to parliament, the more methods are worked out to distribute the shrinking tax take to a growing group of people who are not contributing much to the overall economy.

When Pie Makers are in charge, business red tape is minimised, government bureaucracy is reduced and businesses are encouraged to produce as much as possible within sound environmental boundaries. Any excess production can be exported bringing in a healthy income stream from elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Big tobacco denying health problems caused by smoking, targeting advertising to hook more smokers young, etc etc... to keep the profits rolling in.

No one is forced to smoke, it's a choice that people keep making regardless of the mountains of info out there.

- Banks and other financial institutions engaging in reprehensible practices resulting in the GFC. Also for profit.

No one is forced to lend money, I certainly never did for more than what I could afford. Work harder, save longer and spend less. People used to laugh at the old heaps I used to drive around in, I used to laugh at them straight back, I owned them - difference is I am still laughing at them and they are just miserable slaves to the Bank still. their choice.

- Clothing companies including high-end fashion brands sourcing product from countries with no worker's rights (including health and safety), resulting in the deaths of at least 112 workers in 2012. Just to increase the bottom line.

Was that in Australia? http://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/sites/swa/statistics/work-related-fatalities/pages/worker-fatalities

If you're oppressed there's a reason, try to oppress me and I'll band together with others who won't be oppressed and kill you to maintain my freedom just as my forefathers did.

Just as an aside, a lot of those people aren't as oppressed and as unhappy as you would like to believe.

.- Environmental devastation caused by corporations more interested in chasing the dollar than safeguarding the environment. Many examples there. Exxon Valdez. Deepwater Horizon. The Bhopal methyl isocyanate leaks causing 22,000 deaths plus ongoing genetic diseases.

Incredulous that you believe Corporations don't make big efforts not to lose billions of gallons of crude oil or other product that they make their very profits from.

Far from the myths, you will find Corporations actually maintain a high standard of workplace safety. research the amount of deaths in Oz related to small oil and gas exploration companies. I'll take a picture of the workers at the Chinese/Shell joint venture exploration company across the road tomorrow.

You know as well as I do that there are thousands of examples of where loss of life, loss of biodiversity, loss of income, loss of health and many other impacts negative to people and the environment have been caused by corporate greed.

I think your Corporation greed trumpet puts blinkers on you to be honest, there's plenty of individuals, small companies and big companies that fall into exactly the same category but just mention the word "Corporation" and you go off the deep end.

I worked for Mitchells Drilling (Brisbane) for a bit, workplace practices straight out of the 1920s, seriously unbeleiveably bad and dangerous but they weren't anywhere near a Corporation. there's quite a few mechanical workshops that still pour oil along the fence or down a drain, hiding batteries taken to the tip while big Corporate dealerships spend a lot of money disposing of the waste properly.

- Oil companies such as Koch Industries fund lobby groups to delay climate change regulations. .

What climate change? But anyway, I certainly agree that our waters and air should be as clean and as unpolluted as possible but you can't force any company or individual to change too fast or else the businesses will collapse. delaying the inevitable is usually just trying to do it over a time period to keep the doors open - and again, that's not affecting just Corporations.

James Hardie slowly killing its workers from asbestosis and mesothelioma, then splitting the company to avoid its full compensation obligations.

Yeah, paint half a picture Marty. There's enough factual info on the net for that one.

Plenty of small businesses have to close shop due to litigation costs, most companies and small businesses do a runner, Hardies stuck with it and that made for sensationalist headlines - "Evil Corporation Kills The Average Worker" always makes good headline reading at the lunchroom table - and made Peter Garret richer.

Or, paying an extra dollar per item of clothing on the proviso that the manufacturer provides basic safety, sanitation and freedom from rape.

Your getting closer now. Maybe point the finger at the consumer rather than the clothing wholesaler/retailer.

If Tarmart or Kget were to advertise the fact that, sure our clothes cost a little more but we guarantee our goods are made under strict control of workers rights and conditions, yeah Marty and a few like minded people would buy their stuff, but most would still go across the road to BigUU and buy the cheaper stuff. That's why it is what it is.

The Pie Maker economy encourages more pies to be made so that, in a lesser or greater way, everyone benefits. Encouraging production in an economy gives employment (providing income and self-esteem to the workers), tax income for governments for roads, defence, police, and a relatively small amount for the unemployed.The Pie Cutter economy is where the government tries to cut the tax pie into as many pieces as possible. The recipients represent people on all kinds of government "benefits" ...as they are called (it used to be known as "social security expenses"). The more Pie Cutters are elected to parliament, the more methods are worked out to distribute the shrinking tax take to a growing group of people who are not contributing much to the overall economy.

When Pie Makers are in charge, business red tape is minimised, government bureaucracy is reduced and businesses are encouraged to produce as much as possible within sound environmental boundaries. Any excess production can be exported bringing in a healthy income stream from elsewhere.

Leffer curve; and it assumes an "elsewhere to export to. Anyway, beer is more important than pies...

• Like 1