Google Balloons

We learn something new every day they say.

This morning I was looking at Flightradar 24 at about 5am and spotted what appeared to be a small aircraft.

When I clicked on it, it came up as a Google balloon flying at 17knts at an altitude of 63,000 ft. It had been launched deep in Victoria's south and is now drifting east of Batemans Bay in NSW. This is the first time i've come across this, and a little research revealed that Google are launching a number of these to give internet access to remote areas.

It was interesting to see it's flight path and you could clearly see where the air currents had taken it in a large orbit east of Holbrook.

I wondered how many others were aware of these balloons?

So how does that work?

Old mate out the back of Balranald, clicks on google, types in weather radar,then somewhere a massive bank of computers starts pouring through the current weather conditions, not to find a weather report, but to work out where to release the google balloon from so it can get to Balranald with an attachment ( probably an S.D card) so old mate can feed it in to his computer to see when it rained

Yeah that's how I reckon it works. 072_teacher.gif.7912536ad0b89695f6408008328df571.gif

Maybe I'm as bad as Planey, but I got this screen print tonight.

470440560_GoogleLoon.jpg.d4168b15c2757cfd58d0bcb1ce5d0e4d.jpg

Data panel shows altitude 715 ft, ascending at 512 fpm. Seems dangerous in a busy traffic area, doesn't it?

Peter.

• Informative 1

Sorry gents, but you're all missing the main point. What the hell was Planey doing looking at Flightradar 24 at 5am?? Go to bed man! 071_yawn.gif.43c7f5f86675fec124ffe33bd2e896f0.gif 070_sleep.gif.1c8d367a0c12958f2106584470af404d.gif

Looked after my little grandson overnight, so went to bed at 8pm, almost unheard of for me.

red750 Dont know how the 715ft altitude came about, because I saw that numerous times when it looked like it had dropped off the radar.

Next minute it was showing altitude as 63,000 ft again.

It would be interesting to know what sort of control setup if any is on these balloons I would assume they would have something. Also would be nice to have a pic. Seems that we could be sharing the same airspace while it climbs to altitude and then also when it comes down, I wonder where they release them would it be controlled airspace?

They can release them in controlled airspace yes. They have a transponder on them so ATC can actually see it as long as there is radar coverage. The one that was up in Queensland a few weeks ago was planned to be released in controlled airspace just to the west of Brisbane, obviously with a lot of co ordination with the relevant ATC sector though. Unfortunately I wasnt at work at the time so I couldnt tell you how it all actually happened unfortunately.

• Like 1

SDQDI says: "Also would be nice to have a pic."

If you check out the link to Google Loon above, there are a series of photos and videos.

Thanks 750 I had watched one vid but not the others it sure has a bit of size to it.

The reason I asked about controlled airspace was I was a bit worried if they were launching outside of controlled airspace as us littlies don't all have much traffic avoidance equipment except the good old Mach 1 and collecting one of these would be a bit of an experience that I think most of us could do without:yikes:

• 4 weeks later...

Atc get notified of the launch even if outside of radar coverage. Though the last one was inside radar. Atc would give traffic if in g. Just listen out on area and you'll be right ;) what could go wrong?