Perth trip

rhtrudder

Thinking of flying to somewhere near Perth , so I need a uncontrolled strip where I can hire a car, leaving from Echuca , has anyone done this trip and can tell me the best track for fuel stops , have about 3 hr endurance at approx. 120knts , any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Rhtrudder

• Caution 1

Maybe Northam (YNTM), Murrayfield (YMUL) or Serpentine (YSEN) for uncontrolled strips near Perth. You would need to look into hire car availability though.

rgmwa

Murrayfield http://www.royalaeroclubwa.com.au/content/page/murrayfield-airport.html is a few kms from Mandurah, about 1 hrs south of Perth.

It is a major town/city and a popular holiday destination. http://www.visitmandurah.com/

Serpentine are a very friendly builders club. http://www.sabc.org.au/ a little bit closer to Perth but with no major town. Out in the sticks a bit.

If you have the time, you may want to consider a south coastal route/return.

Bunbury, Busselton, Margaret River, Augusta, Manjimup, Albany, Esperance. (Some regional airports, some basic strips) Plenty have local clubs.

As a local I think the areas outside Perth are more appealing.

Tourism in the Southwest is on a pretty solid footing so you should be able to get whatever you need. Just be sure to check ahead first.

Contact details for the Sport Aircraft Builders Club at Serpentine.: http://www.sabc.org.au/index.html

There is basic accommodation (dongas, showers, toilets etc) on site, but I'm not sure about arrangements for visitors staying there. Would be worth contacting them if you're planning to head that way. Murrayfield is only about 7k's from there as the crow flies.

rgmwa

Once I get there and hire a car I will stay a couple of days just checking out local engineering businesses connected with farming but I need to stop for the night on the way over Plane is dragged along with a 914 with a intercooler fitted so it will run on just about anything although it doesn't like avgas sometimes

Greg

Just looked at Eucla strip can you taxi to the roadhouse for fuel ?

I haven't landed there but have driven down the road past the strip. Don't think you'd be able to taxi up to the roadhouse, legally or practically. It's a public road to the beach and old telegraph station. It's quite a climb up from the strip as I recall. Border village would be a better bet, but maybe others can speak from experience.

rgmwa.

If you landed at serpentine I am only 2kms from there I am sure we would be able to get you either to a hire car location or some other arrangement.

• Informative 1

Thanks for all the help I thought there was a roadhouse on the way I could drag my plane to the bowsers for fuel or close enough to ferry using jerry's Thanks beefy I may take you up on that offer

Thanks for all the help I thought there was a roadhouse on the way I could drag my plane to the bowsers for fuel or close enough to ferry using jerry's Thanks beefy I may take you up on that offer

Might be helpful..... http://friarflyer.blogspot.com.au/ Scroll down for pic of A/C at bowser.....Comes from this post http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/across-oz-katanning-wa-to-kingaroy-qld.63159/

Hi rhtrudder

I have been across east- west and back a few times and you may have to use avgas sometimes unless you have jerry cans and are prepared to walk. The nullabor is the easy bit. Coming west after Ceduna you get to Nullabor Roadhouse. Have a look at the whales this time of year at the head of the bight before you land. Taxi up to the roadhouse, avgas at the back or drag your plane right to the the bowsers for PULP, (no live props at the forecourts of any of the roadhouses.) Accom food and beer avail at all of the roadhouses.

Boarder village- avgas avail in shed at west end of strip, only about 50 mtrs to the pump if you have a jerry can.

Eucla- overfly, can't taxi up to the settlement.

Mundrabilla- fairly long taxi up to the roadhouse north of the strip. Stop motor and drag plane over cattle grid near Hwy(you won't get throu the gate if you have a low wing). then cross hwy to bowsers. No avgas here PULP at bowser.

Madura pass- overfly, can't taxi to the roadhouse.

Cocklebiddy- can taxi close to bowsers then drag in.

Caiguna- taxiway leads up to avgas bowser behind roadhouse. Only about 30 mtrs to bowsers if you have jerries.

Balladonia roadhouse- awkward taxi to bowsers. I usually drag it up to to the bowsers, much safer.

If you can make it to Serpentine from there you're in, or you could take a full jerry and stop at Newdegate and top up. You can also walk to the fuel station from the strip, about 1 klm. Alternatives are going north from Caiguna or Balladonia to Kalgoorlie or going south to esperance or Albany( not too good at this time of year). I usually make the straight run from Balladonia to the west coast without refuelling in my Savannah, comfort stops either at Newdegate or Katanning.

Hope this helps fill in the gaps, have a safe trip.

Cheers

Rick.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

That's all very good info , thanks Rick I was thinking first stop Goolwa for fuel then Ceduna ,even though stuck with avgas, overnight at the Nullarbor roadhouse , got a low wing so I can't fit between gate posts I do have a fold up jerry haven't figured out how to use it without lots of spilt fuel , next best bet sounds like Cocklebiddy or Balladonia I have a range of about 400 nm no wind plus a bit of reserve, does this plan sound OK Greg

That's all very good info , thanks Rick I was thinking first stop Goolwa for fuel then Ceduna ,even though stuck with avgas, overnight at the Nullarbor roadhouse , got a low wing so I can't fit between gate posts I do have a fold up jerry haven't figured out how to use it without lots of spilt fuel , next best bet sounds like Cocklebiddy or Balladonia I have a range of about 400 nm no wind plus a bit of reserve, does this plan sound OK Greg

Don't know about Goolwa, seems a bit off track, i think Renmark is a bit closer to the track, you will have to phone for the refueller though, maybe take a full jerry with you and tip it in at Renmark, if you are going alone that is. If you have a passenger you may not be able to fit a full jerry in.

You need to get the relevant WAC's and ersa together to work out a flight plan or use one of the EFB's on youre ipad, if you have one. The first ime I went across I got all the WAC's and taped them together where they lapped and pencilled in my plan all the way across from Margaret River to Wollongong. then cut it out and concertina folded it so I could have it on my lap. It can go pear shaped pretty quick without a worked out flight and fuelplan.

Cheers

Rick

Got OZ runways so I print the relevant pages off the WAC looking at google earth there doesn't appear to be much difference between Renmark and Goolwa , Murry Bridge is pretty close to the track but puts me over Adelaide CTR

Greg

Got OZ runways so I print the relevant pages off the WAC looking at google earth there doesn't appear to be much difference between Renmark and Goolwa , Murry Bridge is pretty close to the track but puts me over Adelaide CTRGreg

Hi Greg, have a look at the pics. First one shows goolwa as first stop, second shows Renmark. You are leaving from Echuca?

Easy to see Renmark close to the track.

Cheers

Rick

image.jpg.821c773763d4423f003b0b355ce8de2b.jpg

image.jpg.7b088f0556dc25586c1786f0ff694a7d.jpg

Guest Andys@coffs

RAAus registered? If so then the overwater segments are way longer than legally allowed, for Goolwa direct Nullabor, Ricks crossing near Pirie is about right from memory. In any event given the CTA steps there is no way you'll glide to land if you suffer the sounds of silence at the step heights or lower.....

Andy