Amazing crash repair job.

planedriver

I imagine those Pratt & Whitney PT6A turbines would be considerably lighter to lift into position than the original Wasp radials.

Certainly not the sort of working conditions one would normally hope for, freezing spanners can literally stick to your hands. Brrrrr!

Ones left out in the Aussie sun are bad enough.

I imagine those Pratt & Whitney PT6A turbines would be considerably lighter to lift into position than the original Wasp radials.Certainly not the sort of working conditions one would normally hope for, freezing spanners can literally stick to your hands. Brrrrr!

Ones left out in the Aussie sun are bad enough.

This was a crew of Canucks from the land of 10 months hard winter and two months poor ice hockey. These guys aren't tough, they just don't ever thaw out enough to sense the cold (although I did observe one 'nancy' wearing gloves). Loved the pilot's statement "I put it in there, I'll drive it out"! All kidding aside, I reckon they did one hell of a job and RKW is probably correct in presuming that it had to come out at any cost. cheers

Guest Andys@coffs

$5k per day for 40 days $200k presumably USD labour alone let alone parts and logistics........I'll bet the labour was the cheapest part

$5k per day for 40 days $200k presumably USD labour alone let alone parts and logistics........I'll bet the labour was the cheapest part

I agree Andy, I would have thought it would have cheaper to buy another DC3 and convert it to being a Turbo prop.

One of the conditions of taking anything into the Antarctic is that whatever goes in must come out. In some high risk ventures, a rather sizable deposit is required before getting approval to go down there.

• Informative 2