Advice for first few lessons in a J-170?

recflyer

Hi all,

Im starting my first lesson this weekend, I will be training in a J-170.

I have been studying BAK and Air Law to get ready for the exams and have also done some reading of the RA Ops Manual and the aircraft POH.

I have had two Trial Instructional Flights, one in a Jab LSA and one in the J-170.

I would be interested if anyone has any specific advice/guidance to allow me to be more prepared before this weekend.

I aim to fly as much as possible during the weekends till I get my certificate to avoid retraining time as much as possible.

Thanks in Advance.

Hi recflyer,

My simple tips-

1. Relax :)

2. Take it one lesson at a time.

3. Don't beat yourself up or stress to much if you don't get something right away.

4. A good pilot is always learning

Lastly, as facthunter said, have fun and fly safe.

All the best.

• Like 1

Hi recflyer,My simple tips-

1. Relax :)

2. Take it one lesson at a time.

3. Don't beat yourself up or stress to much if you don't get something right away.

4. A good pilot is always learning

Lastly, as facthunter said, have fun and fly safe.

All the best.

Thanks for the advice!

Yeah still here. I did two lessons. Effects of controls and strait and level flight. It was great fun. It just makes me want to fly more. The afternoon lesson was very bumpy and made the ac jump around alot. I found the j170 way harder to control than any general aviation aircraft I have been in. It wasnt bad just different.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yeah still here. I did two lessons. Effects of controls and strait and level flight. It was great fun. It just makes me want to fly more. The afternoon lesson was very bumpy and made the ac jump around alot. I found the j170 way harder to control than any general aviation aircraft I have been in. It wasnt bad just different.

Mate i started flying the J170 recently after many years of GA flying in Cessnas and Warriors and yes it is different but very satisfying. The Landing does take some getting used to, and you will find it does float, but ive found if you can nail the speed as per the book, and get the Control inputs right, it will fly itself!

Where are you flying from?

Regards, Roscoe

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi recflyer

My advice is take your time don't rush anything.

If you can get your head into the books while the weather is not good it will save you time later. The theory component is not reliant on weather so can be done when you can't get in the air, it will also prepare you better for your flights.

I found the book Jim Davis PPL very informative.

Good luck

Guest Andys@coffs
Hi Roscoe,Im flying at Polo Flat YPFT. I did not fly last weekend as the school was closed. Im going to get to try and do at least 2 hours this weekend if the weather improves.

My suggestion is to acknowledge that it isn't a simple thing and some will take a shortish time others will take longer and while it may seem important at the time as to how long its taking (because pilots being Type A personality all want to be known as the "the best student ever, the student who took the shortest time and any other B/S reason") in the overall scheme of things with a few hundred or more hours post ab-initio training whether your initial training took 10hrs or 100hrs becomes completely irrelevant...

So.....don't be thinking about "when will I go solo" or "when will I get my certificate" instead enjoy the company of your instructor because there will almost certainly be times after issue of certificate that you will be wishing he was back in the cockpit with you.

Andy

Thanks for the advice. Although im eager I understand the time taken depends on alot of factors. Im really enjoying the learning process at the moment. The instructors have so much knowledge to impart.

Thanks

Adam