worst place to be a pilot

only 4 episodes were done. I was reading the pilots blog last night...BBC would let me play the series so found all 4 on youtube...unreal for a young pilots experience...really thrown into the deep end in those places

I think you'll find that it's not 'in-the-deep-end' stuff nowdays. Both PNG and Irian Jaya have route and strip endorsing requirements that must be met by operators all new pilots. Usually this is mandatory for commercial flights, and perhaps 'required-by-insurers' for private operations like missions. The PNG system used to involve up to 5 flights on each difficult route and airstrip under supervision of a check pilot. Usually a check & training pilot required at least 1000 hrs flying in the country plus a checkride for approval. There's a lot to keep in your head, because looking up the details in your notebook, (these days your iPad or other device), isn't the safest while you are negotiating a mountain 'gap' in the usual fast changing weather. It was very character building flying. happy days,

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
Being replayed on SBSONE,Monday, 8:30pm. Just advertised.

All on the Western side of New Guinea - Indonesian regos 'PK-xxx'. The outstanding improvement in GA in both sides of New Guinea has been the wider use of turbine powered aircraft. The Pilatus PC6, the PAC 750, the Kodiak, and the venerable Twin Otter are just so much more reliable, powerful and smooth when you compare to the Cessnas. However - the weather hasn't improved, the valleys have not become any wider, and pilots judgement hasn't become any better. It's a sad fact that when there's an accident in the modern era - it involves a higher number of passengers. But it's a great location to learn your craft because there's a very real incentive to do so. happy days,

• Agree 1