Icom A-210

Hi,

Any advice around the Icom A-210?

Any issues?

I need to replace a A-200 as there is a small area on the screen that has bled,

And I have been advised that the 210 will slot straight in.

TIA

That's a bugger. I was speaking with a tech the other day after picking up an A210 from repair that the A200 is a better radio. I believe one of the issues is the ribbon type connector between the head and the main unit on the 210.

That's a bugger. I was speaking with a tech the other day after picking up an A210 from repair that the A200 is a better radio. I believe one of the issues is the ribbon type connector between the head and the main unit on the 210.

Well thats not strictly correct Jeb the A210 IS a better radio it has a intercom built in for starters the flex pcb is only a problem for ham fisted pilots and NON techs who want to keep playing with their radios..sort of like a mechanic trying to be a pharmacist.

Its a mute point anyway as currently the A210 is unavailable due to technical paperwork crap reasons by CASA but will be in the future.

... currently the A210 is unavailable due to technical paperwork crap reasons by CASA but will be in the future.

Hi Kyle

I run an A200 and sent it off to Icom for a check over. They said it was performing really well. But I still get a squeal sometimes when I hit the PTT.

I'm also thinking of upgrading but wonder if this means I have to ditch/disconnect my current intercom which works really well?

Are you able to advise, please?

Kaz

Thanks Kyle - not professing to be an authority in the least, was just interested in the comment from someone more learned than I!

The intercom sure would make all the difference - shame CASA strikes again...

Hi Kaz

usually any type of squeal when you transmit is RF getting into the microphone circuit. This can mean a lot of things. The shielding in the headset cables maybe broken or a bad solder joint somewhere creating a high resistance joint that when applied in a RF field will produce lots of harmonics. Also bad placement of your antenna and possibly a bad SWR on the antenna. Does this happen across the whole radio channels or only on certain ones. Placement of your antenna compared to its field of view to your headset can make a huge difference. Easiest way to try this is your headset cables are long enough is get out of the aircraft and try and block the antennas view to the headset and then see if it squeals when someone or yourself can operate the PTT

Refer to post #14 in this thread

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/difference-in-icom-radios.14935/page-2

Although I am not sure I think John told me it was the IC-A110 the base radio that would not be produced anymore but they were working on getting the IC-A210 to comply with the new CASA reg

Unfortunately the IC-A210 was approved for installation (by an appropriately approved person) for VFR operation below 10,000ft under CAR 35.

CASA has advised that as CAR35 has lapsed, an approval appropriate to CASR 21 is now required. This has proven uneconomic and impractical in the short term. In the longer term, a fully TSO'ed version (which will be acceptable to CASA) is planned.

RAAus requires that fixed mount radios have a CASA approval. To quote from the RAAus tutorial:

"If it is a fixed installation only Civil Aviation Safety Authority [CASA] approved apparatus may be used; refer to AIP GEN 1.5 para 1.1. "

As the IC-A210 approval is no longer valid, Icom can't import it, as it would then fall under ACMA rules, and it is not ACMA approved either. However, as we understand it, as usual, under grandfathering provisions, planes with the A210 installed while the radio was approved can continue to use them.

John R.

or..... an even simpler check is to clean the headset lead plugs, if these are making a poor ground contact the symptoms can be the same. Also test with another headset. If you are using a Lightspeed Headset then try adjusting the mic gain (adjustment pot isaccessed at forward side of mic behind the tiny plug). These ideas should be tried first. Why ?, because they are easy & cost nothing to check.003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Hi Kazusually any type of squeal when you transmit is RF getting into the microphone circuit. This can mean a lot of things. The shielding in the headset cables maybe broken or a bad solder joint somewhere creating a high resistance joint that when applied in a RF field will produce lots of harmonics. Also bad placement of your antenna and possibly a bad SWR on the antenna. Does this happen across the whole radio channels or only on certain ones. Placement of your antenna compared to its field of view to your headset can make a huge difference. Easiest way to try this is your headset cables are long enough is get out of the aircraft and try and block the antennas view to the headset and then see if it squeals when someone or yourself can operate the PTT

Jake J

Avionics/wiring installer.

Hi Kazusually any type of squeal when you transmit is RF getting into the microphone circuit. This can mean a lot of things. The shielding in the headset cables maybe broken or a bad solder joint somewhere creating a high resistance joint that when applied in a RF field will produce lots of harmonics. Also bad placement of your antenna and possibly a bad SWR on the antenna. Does this happen across the whole radio channels or only on certain ones. Placement of your antenna compared to its field of view to your headset can make a huge difference. Easiest way to try this is your headset cables are long enough is get out of the aircraft and try and block the antennas view to the headset and then see if it squeals when someone or yourself can operate the PTT

Thanks, Kyle...much appreciated. I'll give it a try.

Kaz

KazI'm based out of Aldinga (SA) & travel all over OZ - recent jobs were/are in Albany, Mackay, SA & Wee Waa, will be over east of your way wiring up a Lightning sometime soon 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

I'll pm you .

Jake J

Thank you...k

KazI'm based out of Aldinga (SA) & travel all over OZ - recent jobs were/are in Albany, Mackay, SA & Wee Waa, will be over east of your way wiring up a Lightning sometime soon 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

I'll pm you .

Jake J

Don't forget Hawker !

Thanks again Jake , alls well with the Avocet .

Mike