IPad mini, current IOS and OzRunways

Howdy all,

Finding my ozrunways is running pretty slow now on an iPad mini 3G 16gb and telstra. Needed to load the radar into HLC this arvo and it ended up freezing and reloading, seems to only be since the new updates. Anyone else notice it/have a fix?! I'm hardly tech savy but to me it seems like I might need to upgrade the iPad, I so I'll be fuming (read broke for Christmas)

Should run fine on an ipad mini with 3g. Oz runways can be quite buggy at times. Have you tried turning the ipad off and back on again? Also try doing a restore via iTunes and then reinstalling Oz runways... I've noticed the maps refreshing every few seconds since the new update. As I said, it's buggy, but the best thing to do is make sure iOs is the latest version, ozrunways is the latest version and then reset your ipad before each flight....

• Agree 1

"Preflighting the iPad" is a lesson I've learned the hard way. Cleared the circuit and turned in the general direction of home, switched on the iPad and found my plan had inadvertently been deleted. Not a big problem but not a nice position to be in.

Hey Nick,

Yea it all up to date and gets turned off a bit. I've had the iPad for over 18months now and it's something that has been happening over time. Won't be upgrading any time soon tho, my iPhone buggered out yesterday so just bought a new one of them. Had another member say that ozrunways has recommended to keep enough space available, mine is always full

Guest Andys@coffs

When your tablet gets to be about 4 years since it was first released, my suggestion is to not rush into iOS updates...let others test first..... before you apply them, say 2 weeks after 1st release, I would Google your device and words like problem, slow, new ios version to see if there are suddenly half the world complaining that the latest update has suddenly killed performance..... It happened a few years back on the iphone 4s when I think ios 6 (or maybe 7) was released....iphone 4s became almost unusable after the update

I'm probably old enough and cynical enough that I know manufacturers want people to turn over their gear at a regular interval and what better way to do that than to code in some planned obsolescence.

There are security implications for not upgrading.....but in general I would not be too concerned....but enough that if you choose not to apply updates etc then I probably wouldn't then do internet banking on the device or log onto secured sites that you definitely don't want credentials being compromised etc. But running OzRunways.. ok providing that battery performance is still Ok and the device is still reliable. ipad mini (the original) was from memory the same internals (apart from screen size) as the ipad 2 so it's getting on a bit in age now...

Andy

It was <half a GB but with a it of a clean out now about 2GB. that's another thing,with the new IOS, I've only got 12gb available. Looks like the software take up allot more room.

• Caution 1

It was <half a GB but with a it of a clean out now about 2GB. that's another thing,with the new IOS, I've only got 12gb available. Looks like the software take up allot more room.

Yes it does take up more room. I was persuaded to go for the 32Gb on the basis that the upgrade would take most of the 16Gb by itself! Other than memory, I can think of nothing else that should affect the operating of OzRunways.

• 3 weeks later...

my iPad mini started doing this recently, slow, freezing, locking up, etc. Most prevalent after "upgrade" to ios 8. Per recommendation of the tech guys at OzR, I uninstalled it and redownloaded/reinstalled, and that seems to have fixed it up. Probably just got itsself corrupt after too many OS and app upgrades over time and needed a refresh.

Similar problems.......hold down both buttons until it turns off, then restart as normal.

Just remembered....before you do that, swipe off all background stuff lurking on the iPad.

Mines good as gold now....

• Agree 1

yeah mine had gotten past that point unfortunately, but yeah that should help for most problems. First clue things were getting corrupt was when importing a flight plan from Bankstown to Coff's and it showed up as 32000 nm or something crazy.

• 4 weeks later...

I am finding that when bringing up a waypoint from the map, then going to wx/notams that the text box is too small and missing parts of the wx. Anybody else having this problem and what is the fix? On a mini...

Maybe another issue but, I've never been able to get the TAF by selecting the WX section, I've had to select the aerodrome through the aerodrome "look up" then select FAC, and then select the little weather cloud at the top of the screen. Is that standard?