Skytrans closes

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting that their current business model was based on the Aussie dollar being at 88 cents and above US. They have been in business since 1990 and a lot of that time the aussue dollar was around 75 cents.

• Agree 1

Obviously a decent company compared to others out there, good to see they paid out all the staff the entitlements they were owed before closing shop.

Most get so far in hock they declare themselves bankrupt and the liquidators pay everyone else out before the staff.

Sad to see something like this happen.

Alf

• Agree 2

Guest Maj Millard

It's dog eat dog out there in the airline world.......bet a lot of Skytrans pilots get hired by Rex now anyway..........

[ATTACH=full]33426[/ATTACH]

I would think that the state government would have certain parameters which they must abide by when putting out to tender different contracts. The the best value for money would be one of them. People let emotion get in the way of business.

• Caution 1

Follow the money trail and you will know what is really happening behind the scenes. QLD and PNG "small scale" airlines ops has always looked suss. Taking the lowest bid is folly with aviation proved time and time again. Bids go in that can never do the job safely and close examination by competent people would find this before the show subsequently gets into hot water for cutting corners or goes broke. Nev

Daz the QLD courts recently privatised the transcript service to a LNP donor and now the courts are complaining about the accuracy. The LNP seem to have a "go for broke" attitude with issuing contracts to donors now.

• Haha 1

Best value for money would be keeping as many tax paying employees in your state, more in the long run/big picture stuff. Also, the folk North of Cairns would be asking the value of their tax dollar today I think.

The LNP strategy seems to be to get as many donors on the public payroll as possible knowing not all of them will get kicked off. With the demise of Skytrans the tender for replacing them on the northern inland routes will be pretty much whatever Rex wants.

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

All of the above is plausible but I still think in this modern era with the checks and balances that are in place. Ie- government scrutiny. One would hope that every decision on major contracts is fully scrutinised .

• Agree 1
  • Caution 4

The problem with all tenders of this nature and Public Private contracts is the lack of expert knowledge left in the public service with the concept of smaller government being blindly followed. Payments for expert advice costs large percentages of government expenditure and there is no real guarantee it isn't corrupted. Nev

All of the above is plausible but I still think in this modern era with the checks and balances that are in place. Ie- government scrutiny. One would hope that every decision on major contracts is fully scrutinised .

daz ppl don't donate to the LNP or the ALP because they believe in democracy. Last time it was in the media the LNP had sold $11B of assets. I know those 7 office buildings where sold at a $200m discount. There are hundreds of small parcels of land sold of at a discount via anonymous tender process. the Brisbane Broncos picked up $25M in funding and $5m in free land.

Bz4P14YCYAA2oO6.jpg

Although I sit on the right, I cant and never have been able to see the sense in selling assets, expeciatly when they profit through turnover (NSW Lotteries in example). If the government was in the business of making money wouldn't that mean less taxes? Yea a free market is awesome but public services, surely the government should be doing that? Maybe I'm just a simple pilot and don't see the big picture the "more intelligent" pollies see.

• Agree 2

daz ppl don't donate to the LNP or the ALP because they believe in democracy. Last time it was in the media the LNP had sold $11B of assets. I know those 7 office buildings where sold at a $200m discount. There are hundreds of small parcels of land sold of at a discount via anonymous tender process. the Brisbane Broncos picked up $25M in funding and $5m in free land.

Bz4P14YCYAA2oO6.jpg

They have only been dong this to pay off the massive debt left by the previous state Labor government. Plus I thought they were only leasing the state assets ?