Max Hazelton crashed 60 years ago

Finally got to see some TV and I got lucky. First up was a story about the 60th anniversary of Max Hazelton pranging his plane (looks like an Auster) in fog in the Blue Mts. He walked out of the bush a week later and phoned DCA, then went back to crop dusting and eventually established Hazelton Airlines.

7:30 Report Wednesday 7 January. should be available on iView.

About to start at 8:30 PM on SBS is a doco about Cold War jet development.

It was an Auster and he flew it into the trees after running into low flog/cloud... And he walked away.Great aeroplanes these Austers!

Kaz

Good to hear from you Kaz; I thought that story would rattle your cage! With it's vast wing, the Auster would crash with all the violence of a falling handkerchief.

I'm sure Dick Smith will find the crash site.

There is a story ( possibly apocryphal, though I heard it from a reputable source) that Max flew an Auster to visit Nestor Slepchev at Nestor's own field, which I understand was very short. Nestor was apparently rather taken aback that he'd gotten in ok, and then told him he'd never get it out. Max thanked him for the advice but said he'd 'have a go', and proceeded to leave with as much fuss as he'd arrived - none at all..

• Like 2

There is a story ( possibly apocryphal, though I heard it from a reputable source) that Max flew an Auster to visit Nestor Slepchev at Nestor's own field, which I understand was very short. Nestor was apparently rather taken aback that he'd gotten in ok, and then told him he'd never get it out. Max thanked him for the advice but said he'd 'have a go', and proceeded to leave with as much fuss as he'd arrived - none at all..

Max was both a great pilot and a good people manager. He was a real stalwart of ag ops in Australia. Did my Ag2 with him in 1971, and held my breath a few times as Max put the C180 into some very 'iffy' ag strips around Wyangala Dam. Hazeltons had an ag operation which was ahead of its' time at Cudal. Night lit runway, most aggies NGT VFR rated, LAMES met all the returning ag aircraft - rectified anything required o/n, then had the aircraft daily'd, and running, when you were ready to leave at 1st light. Great training experiences there! happy days,

• Like 1

Back in NZ in the 60's during the dear culling days we could get the Auster into most strips but getting out again full of carcasses was another story. The Piper Super Cub and C180/185 saved the day.

Mike

If you have the fine pitch prop on the Auster J1B or N you can get off in less than 150 metres. They were a real STOL aircraft in their day.

With a bit of breeze on the nose and lots of (current) Tug pilot experience, I think you could get them in in a bit less than that... provided the brakes were absolutely on the mark, which is, I believe, a bit of an oxymoron for Austers. My brother had a J1B and used to land on one of the taxiways beside de Havilland's shed at Bankstown when he commuted from Mittagong strip, until the local CFI's complained to the Tower that he was giving a bad example to students who seemed to get the idea that the runways were completely optional.. He had to put down on a croppie strip on Razorback to clean the plugs one time; after he had tied down and gone to work, one of the de Hav. workers came into the design office and asked him if he'd like the bits of tree removed from the rh leg...

• Haha 1

Yep, The J1B and N had a huge 37' wing but only 130 GGs with the Gipsy Major and were three seaters, but only if you get 2150RPM or slightly more on take off (2350 was max allowed for 5 mins from memory). The Super Cub had 180GGs, the C180 had 235GGs and the C185 had 300GGs ... power makes a significant difference on short strips.

• Agree 1

Yep, The J1B and N had a huge 37' wing but only 130 GGs with the Gipsy Major and were three seaters, but only if you get 2150RPM or slightly more on take off (2350 was max allowed for 5 mins from memory). The Super Cub had 180GGs, the C180 had 235GGs and the C185 had 300GGs ... power makes a significant difference on short strips.

All this Auster talk finally got David out of his cave!

You mentioned a C-185. I am currently sitting at YQDI waiting for the air to get less lumpy, and there is one parked here. A seriously heavy-duty item with a largish engine.

image.jpg.44a10ec48cb3569ea87fa44932f63400.jpg

The Super Cub had O320/150hp David. Some of them now have the 160hp or have been retrofitted with the O360 which makes a great Stol aircraft.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

All this Auster talk finally got David out of his cave!You mentioned a C-185. I am currently sitting at YQDI waiting for the air to get less lumpy, and there is one parked here. A seriously heavy-duty item with a largish engine.

Fond memories of sitting on the floor (hanging on to sweet bugger-all) in the back of a stripped-out 'newspaper taxi' C-185 being flown by a Qantas Captain out of Moorabbin while he engaged in a mock-dog-fight with his cousin in a Cherokee 6, in the days when such shenanigans in the TZ would not get officially noticed... If I could get sufficient competence in power flying to be able to do half-decently by a C185, I would die a happy man.

The 0-360 would be a bit of a weight in the nose in a Cub. Putting a great weight in the tail, (which you would probably have to do) can ruin the handling, particularly the spin characteristics. The two seat Austers (Archer and something else) would be good for the RAAus if built a bit lighter . No flaps 90 hp engine..Nev

The 0-360 would be a bit of a weight in the nose in a Cub. Putting a great weight in the tail, (which you would probably have to do) can ruin the handling, particularly the spin characteristics. The two seat Austers (Archer and something else) would be good for the RAAus if built a bit lighter . No flaps 90 hp engine..Nev

Nev, wt difference between O-320 and O-360 (engine only) is only about 10lbs.

Mike

All this Auster talk finally got David out of his cave!You mentioned a C-185. I am currently sitting at YQDI waiting for the air to get less lumpy, and there is one parked here. A seriously heavy-duty item with a largish engine.

As I have infamously said many times before there is nothing like being up on one wheel in a C185, 300GGs up your butt and wing down into a cross wind. They are awesome fun. It's a great sensation when the thrust pushes you back in the seat as you wind in the throttle, pushing forward on the column and then the tail pops up, it is like being Fred Astair on steroids. Great rudder response with that much power up, I love them. Having said that the c180 is probably my favourite, I did parachute ops in one for a while. But I still love the Auster, she is so much fun, I love her quaint ageing characteristics.

Somehow missed filling in detail on the c185 pic above. It's VH-VNW, an A185F with an IO-520 300HP Continental driving a 3 blade Hartzell CSU. Standard takeoff configuration of 20 deg flap at Yallingup, WA, 2013. At risk of offending, insulting,slandering,libelling or otherwise......... a real mans' plane! happy days,

below are pics of two1259045405_PNGVH-SBUwhenitwasTAAs.jpg.78e3e4f676250f9f81fe70065a51057c.jpg of my early day mounts in PNG.

714411723_Cessna180VH-PNE.jpg.6a5e9c5cbc5baa4715373ad9797871fc.jpg

• Like 1

VH-DGL Newcastle Sport Parachuting Clubs C185 for many years. Looking through the log book one day i was surprised to find the club had bought it off Jim Hazelton when he owned Wedderburn. It had been set up for ag work and had the trim wheel repositioned to the roof. Top aircraft until some smartass ground looped it on take off.

Saw it a few years ago at Scone after someone tossed great piles of cash at it.

We had a great pilot flying it for many years, Harry Swaine. He regularly saved the club money by deadsticking from height.

docu0006.jpg.6512b4eea73c24be8e1c6d93ff2da035.jpg

Potts, it figures that you flew in PNG, I just had that suspicion because of your posts from time to time showing affection for the C180/185.

I agree they are a mans' aeroplane, because you need some real physical strength. Mind you I know some girls capable of that, However I know what you mean by your comment.

Steve, I remember Harry, I heard of the prank he pulled with nude jumpers one night. I lost it laughing, he must have been a real character.

Harry just turned 92, he and his wife Audrey are in a nursing home somewhere around the Maitland area. Unfortunately we don't know which one as they won't give out information on their residents.