912ULS Weight

Geoff13

Can anyone tell me the actual weight of a 912ULS complete with radiator, oil cooler muffler and all fluids.

I can find everything except the radiator and fluid weights.

I am trying to do a comparison between the 912ULS 100hp, Camit 2200 80hp and D-Motor 90hp.

The one figure that I am struggling to nail down is the all up weight on the Rotax. Has anyone actually measured one.

Obviously I will need to consider prop weights as well.

Hmm I did the landing practices before I left for home. Keeping the Jab motor was never an option, I always intended to change it, and it came with the kit to fit the Rotax. The argument that I am having with myself is I actually love the way it flys as is in terms of handling.

Performance is nothing to write home about as I am fling it on the CHT gauges the whole time.

I believe the cooling issue can be fixed which could improve the performance and a new motor should certainly perform better than the current one if the temps can be controlled. The current motor is a very early version.

The worry that I have about the Rotax is if I stick another 10 plus kgs (or who knows it could be 20 or 30, that is the reason for the question) up the front, is that going to make it a pig to fly/land.

Why are you not considering an 912 80Hp in that muster? Ultimate reliability.

I did consider the 80hp but with the amount of work involved I felt that the extra 20 hp couldn't hurt. The climb performance of the 80 hp Jabiru is really not that flash so I thought another 20 horses couldn't hurt. Also cost is about the same with second hand motors although if I do go new there is a $3000.00 saving. I was also expecting the weight difference between Jab and 912 to be around 30 kgs with prop and all the cooling etc. It appears I may have been way off if the following figures can be relied on.

This site http://www.ultralightnews.com/rotaxinfo/rotax912-installationweight.html suggest installed weight of 912ULS is 63.8 kg.

Looking at these figures, the installed weight of the Rotax is the same as the Jab.

The rotax does not allow for coolant nor does it allow for the external alternator in this table and rotax quote that as 3kgs.

The jab does not allow for the oil cooler so weights fitted are going to be fairly close.

Going with the 80 hp rotax could even save a kg or 2.

My initial thoughts were about what rgmwa had said, around the 10 -15 for ancillaries.This could be correct because the starting weight seems to be 7kgs lighter.

• Caution 1

Geoff, I was under the impression the 912ULS came with an internal alternator that could handle 14 amps continuous. The extra extrnal alternator would be for those who want to go for all the electrical whizz bangs like heated pitot and auto plilot etc, etc. If you just have simple electrics this wouldn't the internal one do and save you extra weight and expense?