EFIS install

Im going to install an Avmap Ultra EFIS but notice it is not "certified."

As it is going in where the current ASI (80mm) is, I'm going to have put a small ASI (57mm) in a spare cutout.

What I'm wondering is:

- Does the ASI have to be TSO or certified (in other words do I have to bother putting in a smaller standby ASI at all?)

- If I do have to have a certified ASI as a backup to the EFIS can I install he smaller one myself and still be legal?

I have just got my first Savannah and I'm new to the sports category do's and don'ts.

any advice appreciated.

Generally, RAAus aircraft do not need certified instruments. If you have a home built aircraft (19 reg) there should be no problems changing your instruments. If you have an LSA factory built aircraft you need to be very careful about replacing things. The Tech manager is there to answer you questions.

Im going to install an Avmap Ultra EFIS but notice it is not "certified."As it is going in where the current ASI (80mm) is, I'm going to have put a small ASI (57mm) in a spare cutout.

What I'm wondering is:

- Does the ASI have to be TSO or certified (in other words do I have to bother putting in a smaller standby ASI at all?)

- If I do have to have a certified ASI as a backup to the EFIS can I install he smaller one myself and still be legal?

I have just got my first Savannah and I'm new to the sports category do's and don'ts.

any advice appreciated.

Your EFIS will be electric powered, and so it can 'fail'. However, most have a 9v battery backup which gives about 2 hrs use if the main power source fails. Your EFIS has connections to the aircrafts' pitot-static system and so any blockage of static ports or the pitot tube will affect the EFIS in exactly the same way as it will your old analog gages. So, having an analog ASI as a 'backup' to your EFIS is illogical except for the electrical failure cause. If you really want a wholly independent setup - you need to instal another pitot and static line so the analog is completely separate to the EFIS.

It really begs the question as to why bother? You should have learned to fly your aircraft on the 'power x attitude' principle. So, by having kept the general power and attitude 'settings' in your mind - you can very easily fly a safe approach using zero reference to IAS or any other flight instrument. If not - get an instructor and learn how to do it. Probably a lot cheaper than duplicating instruments - and fundamentally, a whole lot better for saving your bum in event of systems failures..

happy days,

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1

Coop your in a different world now so you can almost do what you like. Certainly when it comes to the instruments in a 19 aircraft. I have totally electronic dash now but have made a new one I am about to install very soon after getting mine flying today after a dual stick mod. Ask Bill about it on Sunday he signed off on it today and also came with me on the test flying. My new dash has 2 of MGL Xtreme one set for normal AHRS the other set for total instruments for the engine. A mini iPad in the dash in a special mount. and my Avmap EKPV in a dash mount as well. I do have a analogue ASI in the dash just in case of all electric failure

Mark

• Like 1

Coop your in a different world now so you can almost do what you like. Certainly when it comes to the instruments in a 19 aircraft. I have totally electronic dash now but have made a new one I am about to install very soon after getting mine flying today after a dual stick mod. Ask Bill about it on Sunday he signed off on it today and also came with me on the test flying. My new dash has 2 of MGL Xtreme one set for normal AHRS the other set for total instruments for the engine. A mini iPad in the dash in a special mount. and my Avmap EKPV in a dash mount as well. I do have a analogue ASI in the dash just in case of all electric failureMark

got any pics?

Coop this is the dash I started with. I didn't use any of the instruments supplied in the kit except the fuel pressure gauge...it changed after some use to have the MGL Xtreme added. I liked it so much that is why I decided to add another one . reason was redundancy as both are EFIS so they can both do EMS as well

IMG_1556_1.jpg.b50b651a4e1d7dc8d46ec56305d03840.jpg

This is how I have been flying it now for about 2 years and I will get some pics up of the new one..minus the second EFIS as it is in my aircraft of course

• Like 1

It may be OK for you to fly with no ASI, because you are an experienced pilot, but I don't think it is wise to suggest it to someone who is new to his aircraft. Even if you are really on top of your game do you think flying without an ASI is wise. Can you spot that gradual deterioration in full throttle power without Air speed? Are you so good that you can spot that sluggish behaviour that can occur . Maybe you are good enough to fly without a tacho as well, or even with no tacho or ASI. If you are you are braver than I am.

It may be an idea to have a look at the regs, to see what really is required, bearing in mind that RAAus is not absolved from compliance.

• Agree 1

I have a ASI it is digital but driven from the pitot and static as any normal system..the MGL has it in it the same as most other EFIS and also the Brauniger has one as well. The new dash has 2 of the MGL so I have 2 digital ones and as a last resort backup the new dash has a analogue ASI.....I would never suggest not having a ASI on board...that would be highly stupid. If you look on the left side of the MGL that is the airspeed in both digital and tape format.. the right side has height in digital and also vertical speed in digital at the bottom and a tape at the side...the Brauniger has both....I think I am covered