Foxbat tundra tyres

Guest SrPilot
The A22-foxbat doesn't like it's tail-wheel to be used, has to be replaced quite often. But I love that plane. spacesailor

How often, spacesailor? Mine's never touched ground or pavement but I did move it once with my hand. 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

In the "Sydney Flying Club" trainer at the OAKS.

I believe three in 18 month's, like me in my avatar . CFI said I took off to quick, the tail wheel must hit the runway I suppose.

spacesailor

• 3 weeks later...
The only thing you can't really do with tri gear is pin it on the ground the way you can with a tailwheel. (stick forward). Most low wing loaded STOL planes have excess lift which is hard to dump and are sensitive to gusts. One of the faults they have ,otherwise fun plane(s) Nev

Absolutely right Nev the foxbat doesn't like to be forced onto the ground the best way is a slower approach speed full flap land on the mains and dump flap

As soon as you can and use the brakes while applying back stick

• Agree 1

Guest SrPilot
Absolutely right Nev the foxbat doesn't like to be forced onto the ground the best way is a slower approach speed full flap land on the mains and dump flap. As soon as you can and use the brakes while applying back stick

Thank ozbear. Because the nearest "foxbat" qualified CFI is about 350 statute miles away, could I ask about your usual "slower approaches" and targeted landing speeds? Might save me even more experimenting. Moving from complex military trainer with an approach speed almost equal to cruise speeds in the A22LS, I've found that finding just the right touch with unceasing variety of windy or gusty days, crosswinds, 0/1/2 stage flaperons, 1 on board, 2 on board, etc, has given me a lot to chase. I like to hear conversations about "what I usually shoot for is . . . " but it's a real challenge just bumping into another A22LS operator in my area.

Interesting experience today though. I was landing at an uncontrolled field west of the home base. As I entered downwind and announced my intentions, the Aeroprakt dealer for the U.S. said "that sounds like Joe." I said, "true." He was returning to his home base from a weekend fly-in in Florida. It happened that he was less than 20 miles away and closing so he deviated a couple of miles and dropped in. Nice visit, rather unexpected. But I forgot to ask him about his version of "slower approaches" and "targeted landing speeds."

With full flaps on final, I've been using 60 mph, then slowing once the runway is made. I usually hold a little more speed with only one stage of flaps until on very short final. I'm sure I'm not landing as slow as some, but I remain in transition from heavier iron to the A22LS. So far, I'm using the operators manual data and "feel" within certain boundaries in power, airspeed and descent rates to build an experience platform. I do continue to make the first turn-off frequently although I sometimes extend my touchdown point for a turnoff near my planned parking area without the long taxi.

Joe

There is only one downside to big wheels, they cut into my visibility 010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif But they are awesome awesome awesome[ATTACH=full]33723[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]33724[/ATTACH]

Wallabadah Rock east of Murrurundi. On the property Rock Dhu owned by Peter Norvill, ex-Ag pilot and round the world in a Cessna pilot.

• Like 1

Thank ozbear. Because the nearest "foxbat" qualified CFI is about 350 statute miles away, could I ask about your usual "slower approaches" and targeted landing speeds? Might save me even more experimenting. Moving from complex military trainer with an approach speed almost equal to cruise speeds in the A22LS, I've found that finding just the right touch with unceasing variety of windy or gusty days, crosswinds, 0/1/2 stage flaperons, 1 on board, 2 on board, etc, has given me a lot to chase. I like to hear conversations about "what I usually shoot for is . . . " but it's a real challenge just bumping into another A22LS operator in my area.Interesting experience today though. I was landing at an uncontrolled field west of the home base. As I entered downwind and announced my intentions, the Aeroprakt dealer for the U.S. said "that sounds like Joe." I said, "true." He was returning to his home base from a weekend fly-in in Florida. It happened that he was less than 20 miles away and closing so he deviated a couple of miles and dropped in. Nice visit, rather unexpected. But I forgot to ask him about his version of "slower approaches" and "targeted landing speeds."

With full flaps on final, I've been using 60 mph, then slowing once the runway is made. I usually hold a little more speed with only one stage of flaps until on very short final. I'm sure I'm not landing as slow as some, but I remain in transition from heavier iron to the A22LS. So far, I'm using the operators manual data and "feel" within certain boundaries in power, airspeed and descent rates to build an experience platform. I do continue to make the first turn-off frequently although I sometimes extend my touchdown point for a turnoff near my planned parking area without the long taxi.

Joe

Hi Joe

I usually approach at 50kts full flap depending whether I'm two up and fuel load if I'm lightly loaded ie solo with half tanks I bring it back to 45 kts so your speeds converted would workout about right a good thing to do is check your stall speed in all configurations and stay 10 knots above that for safety also increase the margin if it's windy I have a rough bush strip with one direction and on the side of a hill that I fly to on my farm , ranch in your language sometimes if winds are too adverse I don't land and head home rather than risk damage .

Guest SrPilot

Thanks ozbear. I knew I was in the box but I continue to tweak just where we should be given different configurations, loads, weather, etc. No one around here experienced in Foxbats so everything's "long distance." Your info is helpful and your help is most appreciated.

I've been planning a full stall sequence for whichever day I get some really smooth air. It's Spring now so we are getting a fair amount of winds, cumulus clouds, and thunderstorms. (I avoid the latter).

Lately it's been a bit bumpy so it can be difficult to get good data on paper when you're trying to hold on to the paper. If I don't write it down, I have to go up and do it again. 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

j

• 7 months later...

Hi Sr Pilot,

A bit belated but in response to your queries about the experience of others in Foxbat handling (you probably have more than I by now anyway !). There are some good "instructional" videos on handling on Peter Harlow's video channel (Peter Harlow). Re approach speeds etc I concur with OzBear. It's definitely better with no flap when windy/gusty: those full span flaperons work better as ailerons when not fully deployed as flaps. However, one must resist the temptation to carry too much speed on short final being aware of having no flaps out - otherwise one floats in the "ping pong ball in a swimming pool" mode far too long ! The most difficult landings (scary only in the sense of not wanting to bend my plane) have been into bitumen strips with swirl creating trees/topography nearby. If the speed is right you can fly right down into ground effect with a trickle of power, chop that off while hauling back and it goes on nicely. But...a little too much speed and here comes the big balloon. I do think there are days when it is better just not to fly the FB - because the worry about breaking something spoils the fun of flying.

I would definitely be interested in hearing about your "learnings" and those of others in Foxbat flying - always more to learn. I just did my tailwheel conversion in a Super Cub and thorougly enjoyed it. It is very different to flying the FB although the low/slow and some other aspects certainly prepare one for TW better than, say, a Cessna.

Cheers,

BF

I have the standard "Tundra" tires too and I like them (except the fat nose wheel works like an anti-rudder making it hard to cruise in a straight line (well that's my excuse anyway). What sort of terrain are you planning to land on with bigger ones ? The FB is already not the fastest mode of transport...might be more like a hot air balloon with bigger tyres still. Hey..there's an idea...fill them with Helium and get more baggage in within the MTOW !

Hi BoxFat: I am not sure why this came up as a Caution when I originally clicked on Creative. I liked your creative solution of filling the large tyres with helium for increasing the take off weight!

You would get even better results with hydrogen, if you wanted to take the risk!

Guest SrPilot
Hi BoxFat: I am not sure why this came up as a Caution when I originally clicked on Creative. I liked your creative solution of filling the large tyres with helium for increasing the take off weight!You would get even better results with hydrogen, if you wanted to take the risk!

Well, 80kts, your suggestion of hydrogen reminds me of Lakehurst NJ for some reason. Let's see . . . . Hindenburg maybe? I don't know about the "better results," but I buy into the "bigger bang."