Best VFR route to Taree ?

JUSTNUZZA

Looking at doing a trip up to Taree from Torquay any advice to avoid as much tiger country and millitary airspace possible ? Looking at going Yarrawonga, Temora, Mudgee, Scone then not sure. Any advice would be appreciated .

If you are going from scone the main option would be head down to maitland and up the VFR lane, it does take you fairly low through there though. I have flown direct from Quirindi to taree following the 'Bernard river' but there is some rough enough country under there too. Otherwise head up to mount sandon and follow the valley down past nowendoc at least that way after you pass nundle you can get up plenty high (weather permitting of course)

Someone else maybe able to comment on going from scone past 'ellerston' and across from there? It would be a more direct route from scone but I have heard it was rough country through there although it looked passable on google earth?

Hi Justnuzza, I have flown this area a few times, I suggest you look at google earth to see the terrain. I would follow the Manning river valley just north of the military zone R583B to Mount George and on to Taree. The Military zone is deactive most weekends and some weekdays. For a more detailed advice contact Pylon 500 or Morgan Aeroworks as both are based there. I'm further North.

Nev, Coastal from nobbys past Williamtown is CTA weekdays. If I was going from Scone to Taree north of R583B I would be at 7500 ft and follow river valley, because of high ground around 3600ft going down to sea level, nearly glide to the coast.

• Informative 1

If going Coastal be sure to turn transponder OFF 097_peep_wall.gif.dcfd1acb5887de1394272f1b8f0811df.gif095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif080_plane.gif.9d710ddbd073c38dc15beb9aed9f7a37.gif080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif080_plane.gif.9d710ddbd073c38dc15beb9aed9f7a37.gif080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

(The advice in this post was not compiled by Sam and under no circumstances should it be taken as qualified advice. If planning on going this route we (the voices in his head) recommend that you speak to a qualified professional.)

Guest Howard Hughes
They've been pretty busy cutting trees down. How dreadful is that?. It's lovely country all right but it used to be better. Nev

A lot of ugly holes in the ground through that way too, people always talk about how beautiful the Hunter is, all I see is coal mines when I fly over!

My understanding is that unless you have a ppl you can't fly coastal from Newcastle. From Nobbys Lighthouse past Williamtown is CTA 24 x 7, 365 days.

The Ultralight Route on the western side of Williamtown is the usual route for Pilot Cert pilots. Have a look at the VNC or VTC it is clearly marked. Entry is not far from Maitland. Can be bumpy so best attempted early in the morning.

• Agree 1

I was always of the understanding it was class G and CTAF on weekends but could become active at any time, need to check Notams. I always did ATIS check and radio Brisbane Centre, I have a PPL so it's never stopped me just needed to know whether to ask for clearance.

Extract from. http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/oar/download/williamtown_study08final.pdf

Operational Context

Williamtown Air Traffic Control (ATC) provides a Class C service between 0800 and 2200 (local) Monday to Friday in Restricted Airspace surrounding Williamtown. During this period, the airspace above Williamtown is restricted to prevent civil air traffic conflicting with military aviation activity. On weekends and during a four week stand- down period over the Christmas/New Year break, the Restricted Airspace is deactivated by a Notice to Airman (NOTAM) and reverts to Class G airspace with overlying Class E airspace from 8,500 feet (ft) to the start of Class A airspace at Flight Level 180.

Williamtown/Newcastle Airport is a military aerodrome that accommodates limited civilian aircraft movements.

image.jpg.1f777b41bb51845ca1dc8176da6c34f7.jpg

I've flown it a few times from Brisbane. The only real mountain goat country is around the Gold Coast Hinterland, the rest is a breeze. If you've got plenty of time and aren't on a timeline, then coastal is the scenic 'flat' route. Good luck

My understanding is that unless you have a ppl you can't fly coastal from Newcastle. From Nobbys Lighthouse past Williamtown is CTA 24 x 7, 365 days.The Ultralight Route on the western side of Williamtown is the usual route for Pilot Cert pilots. Have a look at the VNC or VTC it is clearly marked. Entry is not far from Maitland. Can be bumpy so best attempted early in the morning.

From Wilipedia, http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcastle_Airport_(New_South_Wales)

Newcastle Airport is surrounded by Class C Airspace and has a control tower which is manned Monday to Friday, between the hours of 0800 – 2200. On weekends and at other times, pilots must co-ordinate movements using a Common Traffic Advisory Frequency (CTAF). The air traffic control service is provided by RAAF personnel.[10].

Anyone know if this has changed ?

Looked at that. So as I understand fly 1600 through Alpha and 2000 through Bravo is that correct ?

My understanding is that unless you have a ppl you can't fly coastal from Newcastle. From Nobbys Lighthouse past Williamtown is CTA 24 x 7, 365 days.The Ultralight Route on the western side of Williamtown is the usual route for Pilot Cert pilots. Have a look at the VNC or VTC it is clearly marked. Entry is not far from Maitland. Can be bumpy so best attempted early in the morning.[/quote

• Caution 1

Looked at that. So as I understand fly 1600 through Alpha and 2000 through Bravo is that correct ?

Correct. Best to keep to the right hand side of the lane as it is fairly narrow and you won't want to meet anyone coming the other way!

The lane, D589A and D589B is centered over the Northern Rail Line - keep your left eye on it and you will be in the right side of the lane but don't drift too far right (IFR!!).

WikiPedia isn't a good look as a replacement for ERSA - use ERSA.

The restricted areas around YWLM is pretty well 6am to 10pm local so you will need PPL with CTA and a transponder to get through.

R583A and B are not showing up in the current 7 day NOTAMS so may be de-activated. In this case you can fly higher than 2000 feet in the D589B lane north of the saddle north of Dungog OR from Glendon Brook all the way to Taree around the back of R578E. BUT always check with YWLM for the current status.

Have fun!!

• Agree 1

Guest Andys@coffs

I have flown the Maitland lane a number of times. Often on weekends the R583B and A area is inactive, but you can get clarity from the area 20 briefing (almost end of the brief in the Williamtown area section, each of its Romeo's are listed when active and time windows if not concurrent. Usually atop Taree I'll check with Brisbane control ( which means you don't need to retune the radio cause your already on the area frequency) and ask " Brisbane control jab xyz, just confirming that willy Romeo 583 bravo remains inactive" on confirmation you can then follow the lane at an appropriate hemispherical for g class, or fly as you would in any other g class to get to the closer in active Romeo at the 25nm radius from willy.