RA AUS General Meeting Cessnock 2 May

JEM

Hi all

From RA Aus PS Note the live webcast on the RA Aus website if you cant make the weeting itself.

Date: 2 May 2015

Time: 10am to 12pm

Venue: Hunter Recreational Flying Club - Western Side of Cessnock A/Port, Grady Road, Pokolbin NSW 2320

Members are invited to our forthcoming general meeting. The President and CEO will provide a six month update to members about the activities of RA-Aus. We will also discuss the six month financial report and projected financial picture for the forthcoming year.

The meeting will also be live webcast for all members to view on our website. The link will not be live until Saturday 2 May 2015. If the website doesn't work please try this link.

It is also important for members to note that the Executive will be on hand to answer questions at a forum following the meeting.

In order to better utilise the funds from member contributions the board has elected to not incur the costs associated with transporting the entire board to the general meeting. We do, however, recognise that members enjoy discussing issues with the board so to maximise the value we offer to members and achieve this the Executive will be on hand to answer questions on behalf of the board

We look forward to seeing you at Cessnock.

The board of RA-Aus will also be meeting in Canberra at the RA-Aus head office on 3 May from 800am for a routine board meeting. Members welcome to attend.

• Like 1

I'd like to know what was RAA 's involvement in the sanctions placed on Jabiru aircraft. One board member on this forum have been outspoken on this issue prior to the manure hitting the Mistral. My impression is that certain people in the inner sanctum had direct input into CASA becoming involved - absolutely disgraceful !!.

I'd also like to know why we cannot operate within our allocated budget?.

Why do we have to endure constant fee rises?.

Why is the magazine going to cost $70 extra on top of an already too expensive annual certificate fee?.

Why is there no concession to members who don't what a hard copy of the magazine?.

What are the salaries of the main staff at RAA HQ?.

What are the main costs incurred in providing services to the membership?.

• Informative 1

I tried to watch the webcast but only got 5 second snippets every minute or so.

It probably takes too long for the electrons to get to WA. 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Sound and picture quality of the bits I got were good.

The tantalising bits of information I got looked like to be about just the things I wanted to know.

I will ask if there is any way to get a copy of the meeting webcast ( for those on slow connections).

The webcast idea is good - it is a pity it does not work for all.

• Informative 1

I'm assuming the webcast was also recorded, what's the chances of it being available for download/viewing? Can't call the office but maybe one of the board members know?

Edit: Never mind, facebook holds the answer (will be uploaded to youtube in a few days)

• 2 weeks later...

Bill,

I am not in a position to give you an expert answer to your questions - for that you should write to the CEO - but I'll have a stab at a few:

I'd like to know what was RAA 's involvement in the sanctions placed on Jabiru aircraft. One board member on this forum have been outspoken on this issue prior to the manure hitting the Mistral. My impression is that certain people in the inner sanctum had direct input into CASA becoming involved - absolutely disgraceful !!.

RAAus went into crisis mode when CASA dropped the bombshell. RAAus has fought tooth and nail (and continues to) against the action taken by CASA. To the best of my knowledge the opposite of what you suspect is true. Plenty of people have been concerned about the quality issues with Jab engines but no RAAus person that I know of has ever agreed with CASA's action.

I'd also like to know why we cannot operate within our allocated budget?.

Fairly simple answer: RAAus is obliged by CASA to perform a number of functions that cost a great deal of money to achieve. In recent years CASA has increased their demands substantially. In previous years, as was evidenced by four sequentially failed audits, RAAus was not doing what CASA required of RAAus.

CASA pay RAAus a bit over $100,000 p.a. to do work that costs RAAus $millions p.a. You can work it out for yourself by deducting the things we get (or used to get) good value for in particular the Insurance and the Magazine. RAAus has pointed this situation out to CASA VOLUBLY but CASA has been happy to ignore any demands for a better deal. RAAus Board and Management are now taking the same issue up with CASA's superior.

Why do we have to endure constant fee rises?.

Refer to the previous answer plus inflation.

Why is the magazine going to cost $70 extra on top of an already too expensive annual certificate fee?

Refer above answers, I think it is covered.

Why is there no concession to members who don't what a hard copy of the magazine?.

The concession is that they won't have to pay more this year if they are happy to have the free digital version.

What are the salaries of the main staff at RAA HQ?.

You are entitled to know that as a member of RAAus. The staff are not overly generously paid when compared with the Public Service. If you want to know the fine details, the books of RAAus are available for your inspection at any reasonable hour at their registered office which, being in the low rent district of Fyshwick, you can top up your video collection while in the neighbourhood.

What are the main costs incurred in providing services to the membership?.

Wages, Insurance and the Magazine. Office rent is not an issue as the building is owned by RAAus. Wages can be looked at by function of Safety, Technical, Operations and Administration. Some great work has been done by Michael Linke in bringing down the numbers employed by three. When the new computer systems have been implemented there could be further reductions in wages costs.

• Like 1