Melbourne to London in an amphibious SeaRey (Trip of a Lifetime)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

reading the last page, he's heading to Adak and points west while waiting to hear if he gets russian clearances to stop in far east Russia, probably Petropavlovsk (sp) for fuel. I guess then down Japan, Taiwan, Philippines, Indonesia and Darwin to follow.

If he doesn't get russian clearance, bob around alaska and north america for a while while he decides what do do next. I guess he doesn't have the range to do Adak-Midway-Hawaii-Kiribati-Samoa-Fiji-Solomons-Noumea-Aussie.

Adak to Midway is 1620 miles, Midway to Hawaii is 1325 miles.

Whats the range of a Searey with a second thank where the passenger would go?

It's shorter than the 2400 miles from Hawaii to California, and since Midway was closed as a military base and handed over to the wildlife service as a migratory bird breeding habitat, not so hard to visit.

reading the last page, he's heading to Adak and points west while waiting to hear if he gets russian clearances to stop in far east Russia, probably Petropavlovsk (sp) for fuel. I guess then down Japan, Taiwan, Philippines, Indonesia and Darwin to follow.If he doesn't get russian clearance, bob around alaska and north america for a while while he decides what do do next. I guess he doesn't have the range to do Adak-Midway-Hawaii-Kiribati-Samoa-Fiji-Solomons-Noumea-Aussie.

Adak to Midway is 1620 miles, Midway to Hawaii is 1325 miles.

Whats the range of a Searey with a second thank where the passenger would go?

It's shorter than the 2400 miles from Hawaii to California, and since Midway was closed as a military base and handed over to the wildlife service as a migratory bird breeding habitat, not so hard to visit.

1,620 and 1,325 miles is a very long way, representing many hours in the cockpit ...assuming that he has the capacity to carry that much fuel. I hope the Russians will allow him to land in Pretropavlovsk for go-juice.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

So THAT'S how he is planning to make the jump.

30 gallons in the passenger seat and run it up to a deserted island and leave it there while returning to Adak to wait for clearances to come through. Come flying day when he leaves for Russia, land there, top up his tanks, and he has the legs to make it.

• 3 weeks later...

He's in the air right now as I post this.

Made a long flight bypassing Russia and heading straight from Attu with a night takeoff in the dark to arrive in Japan in the evening.

At the moment Spidertracks is showing him in the air following the west coast of japan having passed between Sado Island and Niigata.

It's been interesting following this trip.

• Agree 3

Been following the blog (http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/southernsun/1/1446571656/tpod.html) and its sounding like he will be back in Melbourne around the 14-15th Nov. - just wondering if there is a gathering planned for the welcome back ? (and whether random well wishers are invited)

According to pub rules, I think there is a beer or too owing for a good yarn well told !

• Agree 1

I would so love to be there to meet him, shake his hand for an incredible job, and buy him a much deserved cold Aussie beer, and thank him for the pleasure he's given me and others on this forum..

Too right! The trip blog has been a great read 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

• Agree 1

• 1 year later...

Michael will be in Devonport (Tasmania) this Friday 24th of August.

The documentary Voyage of the Southern Sun will be shown at 6:30pm at the Cmax cinema.

Niblies, drinks provided, cost $23 also a Q & A with Michael.

Regards RW

We had a viewing at the theatre in Toowoomba a few months back, very enjoyable documentary. The one big message I picked up from Michael was don't feel pressured into flying to timetables etc.

Wayne.

• Like 2