Melbourne to London in an amphibious SeaRey (Trip of a Lifetime)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Smith has now arrived in Abu Dhabi, flying from Melbourne to London in a Searey ampihibious kit plane. If you are NOT following his blog full of comments and photos, you are missing out on a great adventure.

ONCE IN A LIFETIME

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog/southernsun/1/tpod.html

• Like 2

Gee, what an epic adventure ,

Its been my "dream" for a few years now , ever since a bloke at Narromine i was talking to wanted a wingman for support , fell through , his lack of $$$

Mike

Now, if he had just gone via Geralton he could have picked up CAGIT on the way. London would be an interesting place to bring it back from. You are doing well Michael. Enjoy, skål!!!

Michael has now arrived in Israel.

His second last leg was 10.5 hours of which 7 where night flying over Saudi Arabia.

I believe that it is NOW much harder to accomplish this kind of flying than in the old days when Britain controlled most of the countries in Michaels route.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Love the trip blog and would love to do it myself but it does highlight one thing I have always wondered about - waterborne aircraft are generally less efficient than a land only aircraft due to weight and shape requirements - here is an amphib flying half way around the world and how many water landings has it taken?