What's happening at AAK?

A few years ago when I built my Hornet STOL at the factory in Taree under the guidance of Ole, Brian and the team at Ausrtalian Aircraft Kits, I learnt a lot of respect for the experience, skill and attitude that is displayed there. After some time off I got to spend the day at the factory again to-day. It is always a surprise to see what's going on. Anyone that knows Ole knows how understated he is but he is never idle. Following are some pics of projects underway along with the build of another two Hornets. First lot need no introduction.

image.jpg.e444712acae9433da5de99de97ae3a0f.jpg

image.jpg.1fd87458b964dbcf2b54383fe36671d1.jpg

image.jpg.b4b7b364dc1c53e5b99c8f3450ae7360.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

Next is another project of Ole's. He is a keen hang glider and glider pilot and has flown extensively in Europe and Australia. The Flamingo is a hang glider and small glider tug being developed. Flight speed range is 25-55 knts, towing at 30 knts.

image.jpg.96ec9d36413b8f5da728c43a1f693603.jpg

image.jpg.6bde8186cd180b4712680f284bdc8d94.jpg

image.jpg.5fce0c05885dec7d1a217c65dbcea84d.jpg

image.jpg.7ef0bc69c29105d182481475edec5c9b.jpg

image.jpg.fb486a59bdf120f6a7a58ec593dc00d3.jpg

image.jpg.ab138cc6ec2c623ba7d4e0c60f4dd29f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

I love the rear view mirrors scotty:thumb up: I've been telling the folks over here that the definition of flying slow is being overtaken by hot air balloons:ecstatic: But at least with the mirrors you will see them coming:happy dance:

• Winner 1

I love the rear view mirrors scotty:thumb up: I've been telling the folks over here that the definition of flying slow is being overtaken by hot air balloons:ecstatic: But at least with the mirrors you will see them coming:happy dance:

Could also be used for pig "spotting" if RAAus do get their Ag Endorsment through, if you could keep up with them that is.

• Like 1

Could also be used for pig "spotting" if RAAus do get their Ag Endorsment through, if you could keep up with them that is.

Only if you had a qualified pax though, 'spotting' on your own could be risky:teacher:

• Like 1

Now we have the start of a low cost maximum fun all metal Part 103FAA 95-10 RAA empty weight of 120kg single seat high wing pusher prop. The Bee Free.

image.jpg.afeffb16077e99e66007af644e273ae1.jpg

image.jpg.1b0205cd95508be15fa1ef7a1820d224.jpg

image.jpg.94d83c19736fa77ffbc39f304bd487b8.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

And going back to that first post scotty, was that jab just in for a service or did they do a rotax conversion there?

All designed and built in house Sam. Just waiting on the engine cowl now.

• Caution 1

We heard about the new Sub Sonex kit coming to NSW, well Ole is an agent for the Jet units and this turned up the other week ready to be fitted when the kit is ready.

What do you recon Sam, Hornet with a turboprop?

image.jpg.aee024b2511096f1cf66bdf8b7b3a7fb.jpg

image.jpg.81d7c247354b19184489fedcf565874c.jpg

image.jpg.3f5106ff4d0f0e3bc499d810e0427592.jpg

image.jpg.33a606ba96819f0d9c3c6f0641f22cf9.jpg

Ooooooohhhh YES PLEASE lol.

They keep telling me the fuel economy won't be there but they sound and smell SOO much better than a rotax:thumb up:

A turboprop stol has always been on the wishlist............... Money being the main problem:wink:

• Agree 1

Ooooooohhhh YES PLEASE lol.They keep telling me the fuel economy won't be there but they sound and smell SOO much better than a rotax:thumb up:

A turboprop stol has always been on the wishlist............... Money being the main problem:wink:

Shirley something that small wouldn't be that heavy on fuel? Maybe we will have to stick to the old kero heaters this winter.

We heard about the new Sub Sonex kit coming to NSW, well Ole is an agent for the Jet units and this turned up the other week ready to be fitted when the kit is ready.What do you recon Sam, Hornet with a turboprop?

One under each wing should do the trick Scottie!

• Like 1

One under each wing should do the trick Scottie!

Might have to tweak the Hornet a bit. Never built for speed so I think VNE might be a problem. Better fit would be a Jodel???

Might have to tweak the Hornet a bit. Never built for speed so I think VNE might be a problem...??

I could do something about that. Spats for those tundras. They'd only be about 3metres long...wait a minute; when he flies to Taree, SDQDI could splash down in the Manning!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

More on the Glider theme. Told you Ole is never idle. He calls this the Condor. Guess what it started its life as?

That looks very similar to the Vivat motor glider...but I have a feeling it isn't.

That looks very similar to the Vivat motor glider...but I have a feeling it isn't.

Start with a well know and respected older machine, take the front seat out, stick in a 912, take the canopy off and change the undercarriage a bit and you have a Condor. Come on winsor, you know it.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

That's quite a framework just to mount a didgeridoo on. 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gifAlan.

Could be sweet music if it turns out like I think it will. Affordable, fun and cheap. Seems just the thing some have been calling for. Oh and it's Australian too.

Affordable, fun and cheap.

How much?

Or if you don't know, at what price point do you consider the use of the term "affordable" appropriate please?

I need to be back in Taree sooner than later, will be good to drop in again, darn nice people.

• Agree 1

Maybe the original started with a B ................ :wink:Don't tell scotty I gave you a hint.

How much?Or if you don't know, at what price point do you consider the use of the term "affordable" appropriate please?

I need to be back in Taree sooner than later, will be good to drop in again, darn nice people.

I gave you that agree Bex because they are 'darn nice people' over there.

Affordable means something different to each of us. From what I have seen of the bee free (which wasn't a lot, Ole just had some of the framework together when I was last there) it looks like it will be a very affordable kit for nearly all of us. (Of course Bex Aussie affordable could be different to china cheap:hide:)

• Informative 1