It pays to increase your wordpower

ABEL-WACKETS. Blows given on the palm of the hand with a twisted handkerchief, instead of a ferula;

I got plenty of blows to the palm of the hand,when I was at school, but it wasn`t with a handkerchief, or a Ferula, it was with a piece of Lawyer Cane.

Teacher: " Out here Arri, 6 of the best!"

Frank.

• Like 1

Are we 12 months early in commemorating the anniversary of ANZAC?

I reckon we are 12 months too early to be celebrating the anniversary of ANZAC.

An anniversary is a day that commemorates or celebrates a past event that occurred on the same date of the year as the initial event. For example, the first event is the initial occurrence or, if planned, the inaugural of the event. One year later would be the first anniversary of that event.

Centenary: Of, pertaining to, or completing a period of 100 years. A one hundredth anniversary

So, 2015 is actually the 99th anniversary of ANZAC, but 100 years since it happened.

OME

OME,

Check this out:

" 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 20 30 40 100"

"1915 1916 1917 1918 1919 1920 1921 1922 1923 1924 1925 1935 1945 1955 2015"

Edit: Damn, even with quotes, the system drops the blank spaces. Type out the years, then place the count above each year, starting with 1 over 1916, 2 over 1917, etc. You will see that 10 is 1925, 40 is 1955, so 100 will be 2015.

Are we 12 months early in commemorating the anniversary of ANZAC?

So, 2015 is actually the 99th anniversary of ANZAC, but 100 years since it happened.

OME

Quite correct as the first anniversary would have been in 1916. It's the same argument, as discussed at length in many forums in regard to the dreaded second millennium.

Finding the correct answer is just something to occupy the minds of the pedantics. It is confusing to try to put a finger on it.

Consider a baby born on the 1st of January. We describe its age for the first year by stating the number of completed months since its birth - 3 months-old; 6 months-old; 9 months-old; 12 months-old. Then we celebrate its first birthday.

Likewise, if we marry on the 14th February, we celebrate our First Wedding Anniversary on 14th February twelve months later.

However, we determine a centenary by mathematical calculation: 2015 - 1915 = 100.

So the two words have different meanings, and

Centenary: Of, pertaining to, or completing a period of 100 years. A one hundredth anniversary

is not correct in fact, but is correct in common usage.OME

With due respect to those who gave their lives, I'm just glad it's over and done with. What's the next 'centenary' are we heading for?

Unfortunately, the 25th April was only the start. We've had the centenary of the 2nd Battle of Krithia, but still have all those wasteful battles of the Dardanelles until December. Then it's over to France for the multiple blood baths there, not forgetting the continuing campaign against the Ottoman Empire. I suppose like our forefathers, the centenary we want to celebrate is 11/11/18.

Then we can wait twenty years before starting off again.

I suppose that the Baby Boomer Generation is the first in the history of Mankind that has had such easy access to information about what has gone before it, and what has happened since the generation began. Too bad that such access has not enable to learn that armed conflict is not to source of peaceful co-existence.

OME

• Agree 1