When all regulation fails, What then?

Speed limits have very little impact on the road toll compared to fatigue, alcohol, and the road infrastructure. Cable separators and safety barriers are being installed at a rapid rate due to the big reduction in injuries and fatalities in areas where there are trees.

99.99% of injuries in 30 mph (50 km/hr) zones don't involve experienced speeding drivers. Pedestrians stepping out on to the road are 121 times more likely to be killed nu a non-speeding driver than an experienced speeding driver.

My theory is that road accidents are caused by inattention. Not speed. When it was legal to drive at any speed you could prove was not unsafe I used to average 80mph. My mind was a mile ahead of the car. I saw things my passenger never saw, such as a bunch of emus in a paddock beside the road, plus I was safe. Now I am restricted to 100kph and the mind tends to wander. I don't think this can be related to flying, except by maybe tedium of flying high and everything appearing to happen in slow motion.

Up high you hardly seem to move. They used to say flying is 99% boredom and 1% terror. It takes me a day of driving to do what was once an hour in a plane. I was insufferable about how slow driving was. When I used to drive fast you concentrate more. . The good roads make you bored. Nev

Guest ozzie

I found when driving on the Autostradas in Italy the road had my full and utmost attention @ speeds around 180/200ks. No one obeys the 130kph speed limit until it starts to rain then everyone drops to the 100k limit. No one falls asleep behind the wheel in Europe.

Yeah, but Perth to Sydney is like London to Siberia. We drive big distances here. When you have a pile up at 180 200 kms it's a big one. Ive been doing 1100 kms in one go and it's probably too much Some of the caravan park prices are extortion. Kills the towns because less people stay there. Same effect as high landing fees.Nev