Drone air ambulance

Jabiru Phil

Nice idea but I would hope most businesses have a defibrillator handy. We have them in multiple locations at work.

I would say there would be an awful lot of places without them still Dazza. In our town besides the hospital, chemist and emergency services I wouldn't think that too many local businesses have them.

No, sorry. Not even a nice idea.

The practical realities are that out of hospital arrests have a less than 0.1% ( Yep 0.1% !!!) survival rate without defibrillation within about 3 minutes of cardiac arrest. And 1% survival with defibrillation. A nearly zero% 1 year survival rate.

The whole concept of defibrillation is that there is no time for delivery of a defibrillator. For any hope of survival the defibrillator needs to be pretty much there when the arrest happens. - there are very large numbers of automatic fibrillation in the community now - in supermarkets airports public buildings & workplaces etc.

The theory is that they need to be there on hand. The highly fanciful idea that a drone could deliver a defib within 2 minutes of the cardiac arrest is entirely unbelievable.

Now for the sad news - defibrillators have been in all the above mentioned places for near on a decade now and the out of hospital survival rate has not changed.

So adding a defibrillator on a drone is a great rose coloured glasses techno idea but just as likely to be a waste of money.

And by the way that video was utter rubbish. I have probably run several hundred cardiac arrests in my 30 year career and not one ever sat up and acted like they had just woken up from a sleep. And none would survive without CPR to at least get some brain circulation while waiting for the defib to arrive. Only time I've seen that is in babies who have drowned in very cold water.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1