Jabiru J430 in flight break up in Germany

Guest Maj Millard

ATSB report AE-2015-068 listing the Jab incident in Germany as an in- flight breakup. Lending support as Country of origin and manufacture.

. . . . been happening for decades. . .and it will quite regrettably probably continue, according to the statistics anyway.

Hence my usual mantra when I'm flying my day VFR biplane:

"There is no excuse too shallow to explain heading back to the pub for a beer."

• Like 2

But they couldn't have any first hand knowledge of it, so it's no real contribution to established facts. Do we have an uncontrolled flight into terrain, or inflight break-up due to loads imposed by loss of control in IMC, or was it damaged after losing control by hitting trees. As Dutchroll said examination of the wreckage ( including where it is My words), can tell us much even in the absence of recorded flight data. Nev

Guest Maj Millard

However by requesting permission of our ATSB for assistance by the German investigators, they are referring to it as an inflight breakup, so maybe they know something we don't yet ...time will tell I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...
However by requesting permission of our ATSB for assistance by the German investigators, they are referring to it as an inflight breakup, so maybe they know something we don't yet ...time will tell I suppose.

I agree that time will probably tell Ross, I just had a look at a translation of the Holzminden Jab crash, on a news type site with some comments afterwards which mentions the possibility of the aircraft striking several treetops before impacting the forest floor. This does not mean that it definitely Didn't break up in flight, as the investigation is ongoing but THEIR speculative comments released to the media based upon what evidence they have seen thus far suggests CFIT in very poor visibility. The wreckage trail was quite extensive.

It will be interesting to read the final report. 1715900593_Jabcrash1.jpg.6dbfe15a4fb2a1bb2ef61d973fd52581.jpg

The Jabiru in flight breakup / twin fatality in France a couple of years ago, ( the pilot being one of our club members BTW ) caused a lot of speculation, not whether it broke up in flight, there was not much doubt that it did, as one crew was found quite a long way from the impact site of the main wreckage as were some aircraft parts, but the speculation included collision with a Military Helicopter, BRS failure. and also Lighting strike. ( The aircraft was not fitted with a BRS )

The eventual BEA report concluded that the cause was airframe overload due to forces associated with flight in moderate to severe turbulence created by thunderstorm activity reported in the area at the time of the incident. Lightning was ruled out as a cause . The ATSB said that they concurred with the French report in that particular case.

928911763_Jabcrash2.jpg.080a2d9b963017db969cf9966da2494c.jpg

568354392_Jabcrash3.jpg.f7bcbf14a0f6edb9bed754d0f4da9032.jpg

• Informative 2