PPL books

Any suggestions for PPL books? I can't remember what I studied from before for the GA BAK/PPL, but it was ok. not great, but ok.

I was looking at the airservices site and they have the ATC PPL/CPL set for a fairly attractive price ($260). I don't think I will go onto CPL, but more knowledge is more, right?

• Agree 1

Recently bought the Bob Tait Recreational Aircraft BAK and Recreatioanl Aircraft Cross Country Endorsement Text Books and Ebooks to review for my BFR.

Don't waste your money on the Ebooks, they are nowhere near as useable as other Ebooks, no search function etc. Get the text book. With a real text book you can also make your own notes in them, flip between pages ( look back to a previous chapter to remind yourself of the meaning of a defined term).

I have only studied for a RA Aus Pilot Certificate, not a PPL; but I have used

Bob Tait BAK (including the new ones above), good, CFI's have loved and recommended but I personally found it lacking.

John Brandon's text on this website, very good Free

Delta Recreational Flying Services, easiest to understand but seemed to jump about a bit. Cheaper than Bob Tait or Dyson Holland

Dyson Holland, very thorough and technical similar pricing to Bob Tait

Fly Better series by Noel Kruse, an excellent follow-up once you have passed your BAK, free on Internet.

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

I had the Bob Tait books, and eventually did the Bob Tait Course. I reckon 90% of the questions I got in the actual PPL exam were what is found in the back of the Bob Tait PPL book.

About the only thing I struggled with is the Threat and Error Management shite, but I think there were 2 questions on the PPL and I failed both from memory. I got 88% in the end, I was happy with that. I think you can download a TEM supplement on Bob Taits website which should help you along. I still reckon TEM is a load of bollocks.

• Agree 1

Hey Ada Elle,

I've used the following text books for my RA-Aus, PPL and CPL exams.

For RA-Aus I used the John Brennon tutorials and found that they are pretty helpful. I used to read them a lot more when I was studying for the RA-Aus exams and they helped my grasp the basics (back then being very young I struggled to understand a single concept) plus they're free.

I used to like to read the RA-Aus magazines and the Flight Safety magazines and review the accidents and incidents to try and develop my understand of the causes and symptoms of the accidents/incidents.

I have the RA-Aus Dyson and Holland books. I found these books to be very detailed and dry. I personally didn't enjoy reading them as they seemed like a chore as it deals with facts, number and figures (I read these when I was 14-15 and finishing high school).

I also read Jim Davis' PPL book. The book is written like a conversation but I found that in some cases didn't have enough information and it also contains quite a few comparisons between South African law and Australian law.

Bob Tait released a RA-Aus text book last year, I don't know much about this book as I haven't read more than a chapter.

For my RPL and PPL exams I used predominately Bob Tait's PPL and GFPT text books (and completed a course with my local flying school). Personally I like Bob's text books. But I feel sometimes the text books don't explain certain sections in the depth I'd like so I'd often reference other books.

For my CPL exams I used Bob Tait's text books. I like these text books. They have all the information needed to pass the exam and the are very easy to understand. I also bought the Aviation Theory Centre text books and used them as a reference guide for sections of Bob's books that I either didn't understand or sections I felt didn't go into enough detail. I find the ATC text books are just as in depth as the Dyson and Holland text books are.

Beside these text books I also bought Bob's online practice exams and the Concept Aviation practice exams. I found with a combination of text books and after completing enough practice exams and taking plenty of time to study I passed all fine.

Bob also runs full time courses for PPL and CPL. I did two of my CPL exams (Performance and Aerodynamics) with Bob and I found them to be well worth the money and effort required.

For my IREX exam I'm planning on using Bob Tait's text books and buying his online practice exams.

As for the ATPL exams I have found three options. The Advanced Flight Theory School (in Maroochydore) is recommended by most of my friends (who've studied on the full time and part time course). But the ATC and Rod Avery also sell the ATPL books which are also recommended (online, not by friends)

Hope this helps,

Letitia

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Bob Tait's books were good. As for TEM, CAAP 5.59-1(0) covers everything and more you need to know - I have attached it here.

also, because the CAAP is pretty expansive, I created a study sheet from all of the salient points and if I recall correctly I got them all right on the PPL written. I've attached it as well.

Threat and Error Management.pdf

TEM definitions.doc

TEM definitions.doc

TEM definitions.doc

• Like 1

If you really want to get to grips with the theory of flight try "The Mechanics of Flight" by A C Kermode - or the slightly lighter version "Flight Without Formula".

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Agree 1