YBCM (Coominya) to YCNK (Cessnock)

Hey Guys,

Any route advice for a route from YBCM (Coominya) to YCNK (Cessnock)? Looking at flying down there to see some family and take them for a fly. Any experiences would be appreciated. I will stay OCTA. There is a lot of Restricted areas down near Williamtown however the VFR route looks ok along the railway track albeit a bit low.

Thanks

Hi Magishme,

I've only done it once, but, on a nice day, flying the inland lane behind Williamtown, following the railway, is very interesting. The scenery is great and since you're obliged to fly pretty low, you get to enjoy it closer-up than usual. For most of the way, more or less landable fields are within reach. On not so nice days, though, I've heard, it can be really bumpy and scary. I was told it's advisable to have the Willy Approach frequency ready to hand, in case of problems, since you're crawling along a narrow winding track just under the floor of their (military) airspace.

As you pop out of the lane near Maitland you're close to circuit height so I'd keep an eye and an ear out for traffic there. Then it's only a few minutes more to go as you cross over the valley to Cessnock.

I wonder if there's any progress with getting us RAA types the right to seek clearances to go coastal past Willy and Coffs and Surfers et al. It makes so much sense, safety-wise. It's hard to see what purpose is served by excluding us from these routes. Why push pilots to take (sometimes) dangerous inland diversions when a safe and simple coastal clearance may well be available for the asking?

Anyway, if you're coming down on the coastal side and wanted an overnight break enroute - or needed one, due WX - consider stopping at Camden Haven Airfield - YCMH - just south of Port Macquarie.

http://www.camdenhavenairfield.com.au/index.html

It's now owned by a friendly bunch of guys - several of them airline pilots, who build/fly their own RVs. You can stay in one of the very nice cabins they have there on the field for fifty bucks per night. They don't have fuel though.

When are you planning your trip?

• Like 1

Why go coastal? Stay west of the divide and relax. Navigate via dams. Glenlyon, Pindari, Copeton, Split Rock, Keepit, then turn SE over YQDI (where you're welcome to stop over), cross the Liverpool Range using the cooling towers of Bayswater Power Station as markers. They're pretty much in line with YCNK.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1

Why go coastal? Stay west of the divide and relax. Navigate via dams. Glenlyon, Pindari, Copeton, Split Rock, Keepit, then turn SE over YQDI (where you're welcome to stop over), cross the Liverpool Range using the cooling towers of Bayswater Power Station as markers. They're pretty much in line with YCNK.

This is something like the route I plan to use on my return from Cessnock to Watts Bridge. I plan to go from Cessnock to Gunnedah, then up to Inverell, Warwick, Gatton and Watts Bridge. Easy flying country out that way, not too much traffic and plenty of landable area if the fan stops.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

OK is spot on.

I have done that exact route and it is a lovely way to travel, safer plus less chance of a hassle if the weather isn't quite as predicted.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the replies. They all help a lot. Garfly I am looking at doing the trip in the next few months. I will then fly on to Warnervale to pick up my brother and head to to do victor 1. I'm planning on taking a week or so and hope the weather cooperates.. If not I will take a little longer.