Landing fee etiquette

BlurE

So Nav endorsement in pocket I am looking to explore the world a bit. One thing I am not so clear on is landing fees.

Many places seem to not have any, or at least they're not published in the ERSA. Some seem to charge commercial operations only, others for a full top only. And if they do apply to 'any movement' including touch and go what is the best way to affect payment?

I don't like bothering people, but do you really need to call ahead to check?

I get the impression RAA used to act as a collection service in the past but this has stopped. I don't mind paying to use facilities but I am not so clear on what is reasonable and expected.

Advice appreciated.

Landing fees vary from place to place. Most of the smaller strips don't charge landing fees. Some places have an honesty box where you can put the money in an envelope and place it in the box, some you just pay at the desk. Many of the bigger strips send a charge based on your rego but because RA don't give out private details you won't be billed even if you offer to pay at the desk.

As to calling ahead for smaller strips or PPR strips, it is just common sense and courtesy. Asking about landing fees is only a small part of calling ahead. What you are calling for information on the condition of the strip and the owner's permission to land there.

• Agree 2

For me a big part of the flying experience is visiting the many airstrips up here in North East Victoria. Most have no fee and some request a donation, so a toilet and coffee definitely receives a contribution. Porpunkah, Yarrawonga, Mansfield and Longwood are on my list of favourites. In all cases I definitely phone ahead for strip conditions and permission.

Some strips have a commercial collector who listens to recordings of the wireless traffic and sends out invoices. Gladstone is one of these and from memory Wagga Wagga is another. I have been billed several times when I have only been in the area, but not landed. No problem if you can explain what really happened. Some such as Thangool, charge a rate which can hardly bring them any income. I don't fly in to Gladstone because of the landing fee, especially as they have turned the airport into a car park, done massive upgrades with no financial help from federal or state government and removed the old taxiways that used to serve both ends. they now miss out on selling me fuel.

Small strips often don't have any charges and there must be some cost to them for maintenance. Happy to pay them.

Guest Andys@coffs

Many Airports have a commercial entity collect their landing fees Mostly that is done by Avdata. If you search for Avdata on this site you'll pick up a number of historical discussions about them. I personally have registered my aircraft with them because I believe we need to pay for what we use and I don't want airports getting stroppy with RAAus aircraft/Pilots because as a group we aren't seen to be paying our way......That said some have had poor experiences with Avdata, I can say I have had issues myself but its only early(ish) days yet

Andy

Paying $9-40 landing fee to purchase 30-40 litres of avgas for my little bug squasher is painful.

I would run mogas if it were more dependable.

I've been told carrying jerry cans onto airfield and filling up to take home is not permitted, so I guess I have to keep paying my $9.40 for an aircraft with max 60 liter fuel capacity and a mtow similar to my lawn mower.

What's the problem with Mogas? We use Mogas as our preferred option and only use Avgas when Mogas is unavailable. We use a very good filter funnel but have never had a tank of bad fuel, and that includes a lot of outback flying.
  • Agree 1

What's the problem with Mogas? We use Mogas as our preferred option and only use Avgas when Mogas is unavailable. We use a very good filter funnel but have never had a tank of bad fuel, and that includes a lot of outback flying.

Yep, that's our experience with Mogas as well. I can account for at least 4000 hrs on Mogas, between several friends and myself. Never had an issue and included flying all over the country and filling jerry cans from many bowsers.

• Agree 1

Yep, that's our experience with Mogas as well. I can account for at least 4000 hrs on Mogas, between several friends and myself. Never had an issue and included flying all over the country and filling jerry cans from many bowsers.

Nothing wrong with Mogas but that has nothing to do with paying Landing Fees. We have a lot of pilots using the aerodrome but do not pay at the honesty box. Some always do but it seems the ones with the flashest aircraft are the most reticent. It irks me somewhat that someone can spend over $100,000 for an aircraft but not pay a $5.00 or $10.00 landing fee. Who do these pilots think pays for the rates, mowing, insurance, runway sealing, etc? Even if it is a basic grass strip there are always maintenance costs to be paid.

• Agree 1

Nothing wrong with Mogas but that has nothing to do with paying Landing Fees. We have a lot of pilots using the aerodrome but do not pay at the honesty box. Some always do but it seems the ones with the flashest aircraft are the most reticent. It irks me somewhat that someone can spend over $100,000 for an aircraft but not pay a $5.00 or $10.00 landing fee. Who do these pilots think pays for the rates, mowing, insurance, runway sealing, etc? Even if it is a basic grass strip there are always maintenance costs to be paid.