CASA Part 91. Here we go again

JEM

Consolidated general operating and flight rules (Part 91) published for public review

Following extensive consultation with the aviation community, the new general operating and flight rules package (Part 91) is in the final stages of becoming law and has been published for public review.

The consolidated rules - made up of some new and current regulatory provisions contained in the Civil Aviation Regulations and Civil Aviation Orders – will now all be contained in Part 91 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations. Once in place they will form the foundation for all civil aviation flight operations, much like the ‘rules of the road,’ and will apply to all pilots, aircraft owners and operators, people who fuel and handle aircraft, loading personnel, air display organisers and air traffic services.

Part 91 will be formally made once the rules have been signed off by the Governor-General. CASA will then work with the aviation community to develop a detailed implementation plan, including a proposed commencement date and appropriate transition arrangements.

To ensure everyone is well informed and ready for the introduction of the consolidated general flight and operating rules, CASA will be providing comprehensive guidance material. This will include a Part 91 Manual of Standards (MOS) and plain-English information sheets where required, making it easier to understand the requirements. The draft MOS has also been published on the CASA website and will be further developed before it is finalised. We welcome your comments during that process.

View the general operating and flight rules package online.

• Informative 1

Consolidated general operating and flight rules (Part 91) published for public review

Following extensive consultation with the aviation community, the new general operating and flight rules package (Part 91) is in the final stages of becoming law and has been published for public review.

The consolidated rules - made up of some new and current regulatory provisions contained in the Civil Aviation Regulations and Civil Aviation Orders – will now all be contained in Part 91 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations. Once in place they will form the foundation for all civil aviation flight operations, much like the ‘rules of the road,’ and will apply to all pilots, aircraft owners and operators, people who fuel and handle aircraft, loading personnel, air display organisers and air traffic services.

Part 91 will be formally made once the rules have been signed off by the Governor-General. CASA will then work with the aviation community to develop a detailed implementation plan, including a proposed commencement date and appropriate transition arrangements.

To ensure everyone is well informed and ready for the introduction of the consolidated general flight and operating rules, CASA will be providing comprehensive guidance material. This will include a Part 91 Manual of Standards (MOS) and plain-English information sheets where required, making it easier to understand the requirements. The draft MOS has also been published on the CASA website and will be further developed before it is finalised. We welcome your comments during that process.

View the general operating and flight rules package online.

I havn't found time to go through them all yet, but basicly it reminds me of re arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. The only problem is that this Titanic is that it won't sink.

All the re arrangements I have seen over the years seem to be the same thing, but different wording. As far as the government goes it is keping loads of lawyers in work.

I havn't found time to go through them all yet, but basicly it reminds me of re arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. The only problem is that this Titanic is that it won't sink.

All the re arrangements I have seen over the years seem to be the same thing, but different wording. As far as the government goes it is keping loads of lawyers in work.

'Following extensive consultation with the aviation community' ???? Yea right.

It is true - very extensive over the last 12 years - it is just that they don't take much notice of the feedback.
  • Agree 1
  • Caution 1

'Following extensive consultation with the aviation community' ???? Yea right.

It is true - very extensive over the last 12 years - it is just that they don't take much notice of the feedback.

Strict Liability is a disgrace. For those who don't know, it means you can't go to court with a view to getting a better result or being found "not guilty". You ARE guilty because they say you are. You WILL be fined the prescribed penalty units, or gaoled, no "if"s or "but"s. And good luck appealing to the Kangaroo Court, er, Administrative Appeals tribunal.

• Informative 1

Strict Liability is a disgrace. For those who don't know, it means you can't go to court with a view to getting a better result or being found "not guilty". You ARE guilty because they say you are. You WILL be fined the prescribed penalty units, or gaoled, no "if"s or "but"s. And good luck appealing to the Kangaroo Court, er, Administrative Appeals tribunal.

Everyone should thoroughly read through these new proposed rules and report any anomalies found to CASA. For example see the Class G Airspace criteria that is/is not included in the draft (page 7 of 128). Also, are drones mentioned anywhere in part 91?

Everyone should thoroughly read through these new proposed rules and report any anomalies found to CASA. For example see the Class G Airspace criteria that is/is not included in the draft (page 7 of 128). Also, are drones mentioned anywhere in part 91?

I am responding on a number of other points to CASA. What are the issues with that section?

I am responding on a number of other points to CASA. What are the issues with that section?

Until we see the final parts 101 and 103 can't say that anything in 91 doesn't apply.

Thats right. CASA could just cut and paste the 91 rules into part 103 which is why it is important to respond to these rules properly but as written this part doesn't apply to aircraft regulated under part 103.

Until we see the final parts 101 and 103 can't say that anything in 91 doesn't apply.

Thats right. CASA could just cut and paste the 91 rules into part 103 which is why it is important to respond to these rules properly but as written this part doesn't apply to aircraft regulated under part 103.

Been there, had that done to me. Difference was I wasn't even told of my alleged transgressions. Five years of trying to get an investigation have yielded nothing. Silence. These laws just empower sociopaths and ar$holes.