A Few Lessons in..

I know of surgeons who record themselves and analyse their movements so that they can improve. Can't see how a gopro behind your head to make sure that you're doing everything wouldn't help during the critical phases of flight.

That day when you just can't nail a landing, better to wake up another day and put well behind you. I trained in a solid block, two sessions a day for just under two weeks. When this happened I cancelled the afternoon session, and slept on it. The next day was all good.

I'm not sure two a day every day is optimal. We know too little over time might not be productive, but perhaps the "concentrated" way has a different outcome. Having a bigger break may force you to analyse the process more on each occasion as you aren't relying on the very familiar situation you are in flying every day. I only relate this to the early training environment as to the effect which I call the seat of the pants when you fly all of the time. People who fly the real plane a lot before flying the simulator rely on the seat of the pants feel which isn't there in the sim and may fly worse than If they had a break from flying before the sim period. Hope I have explained this adequately. Nev

I agree that two a day was sub-optimal. It may even have led to the lesson you would rather forget. I slept for most of the afternoon that I cancelled flying and then had one ley day later in the peace but otherwise kept up the pace. I do think two or three lessons a week would be a much better high intensity training schedule.

When I did my RPC I decided that one lesson infrequently wouldn't cut it and lead to a two steps forward one back situation so we settled on a 2 day session every 2 to 4 weeks or so. Standard practice was a couple of 1 hour sessions of structured training on each of 2 days interspersed with book sessions and the CFI and I would play golf on the second afternoon. It seemed to strike the right balance (for me anyway) of work and relaxation. I seemed to retain what I'd learned and be ready for the next stage on the next visit.

That said after I got the basic certificate and was onto navs etc there were a few big gaps. I always (and still do) ask the CFI to come up with me for a few circuits if I have had a gap of 3 months or more.

Cheers

Chris

When I learnt to fly (GA) in the sixties, the Restricted PPL was minimum 30 hours. Civil Flying School had a 2 hours/day, 5 days/week concentrated course, which I took. I required a little more than minimum, getting my restricted licence in 32.5 hrs. The 2 x 2-day weekend breaks were greatly appreciated. Navex's were spread over a longer period.

• 3 weeks later...
That was some beautiful attitude flying on those circuits with the instruments covered, it looked like you really had the hand of it.

Thanx Mate....not the first time i've been told i've had my hand on it!!! :)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...