Flight training

Maybe you could forego some inter web / forum time to read the regulations yourself, rather than rely on other people's interpretation and explaination?

Roundy

Really you know how much time I spend on the internet, do you have a camera at each of my three office desks, it may show that I'm online but that is because I never bother to log out and I have several devices that may be connected at any one time. I have a pretty good understanding of the regs but I may not necessarily know the reg number, that's what indexes are for unless you have nothing more interesting to do than remember regs by number.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This may be a stupid question, but when CAR162 (give way to aircraft on your right) and CAR166B (give way to aircraft in the circuit) come into conflict, which takes precedence? Similarly, I'm not sure where the give way provisions of CAAP166 when joining on base interact with the requirement to give way to aircraft on your right.

Hasn't changed much in essence. 400' was probably the lowest used for Jets I flew. You may not have a landing clearance at that point. "Expect LATE Landing clearance" happens. We did low level circuit training for bad weather circling approach to day/night minimums (Fun stuff). as tight a circuit as many U/L's do. Nev

Nev

Take a look at Rio domestic, I spent 3 months looking across the harbour from my office in awe of the approaches that were being done 1100m of runway 73's, 717's and a bunch of other aircraft all negotiating that very tight bit of airspace including a bridge in the picture as well. Shows it can be done safely if all are on the ball. I'm sure there are other airports that are more difficult or just as challenging in other places around the world. I have had the privilege of having 3 jump seat rides into Kai Tak before it closed and before you were no longer allowed to be on the flight deck as a passenger. Those rides were made available due to a good friend of mine at Qantas (known to Dutch) and appreciated by me forever.

Aldo

• Like 2

This may be a stupid question, but when CAR162 (give way to aircraft on your right) and CAR166B (give way to aircraft in the circuit) come into conflict, which takes precedence? Similarly, I'm not sure where the give way provisions of CAAP166 when joining on base interact with the requirement to give way to aircraft on your right.

Ada

Its not joining base it's established on base as far as the straight in approach is concerned, good airmanship and a good picture of what is happening around you over rules everything else. Don't run into someone else, you will from time to time piss someone else off but go have a chat to them on the ground that normally solves most problems, not strict adherence to the rules.

Queenstown NZ is interesting. Nev

Nev

Only ever seen it from a go pro never been up the front there but from the go pro if you have a bit of weather around it must be fun to say the least. My hat off to all those who have to negotiate these difficult (but safe if you follow the procedures) approaches. People wonder why airline pilots get paid so much (and sadly they don't any longer), a friend of mine said during the pilots dispute in the early 90's I don't care how much they get paid as long as when everything goes to shit up the front I get out in one piece at the other end. Flying (commercial RPT) has become so common place in recent history that in most peoples minds it no longer carries any risk and the biggest problem now days is that I don't arrive at the published time. Any wonder we have (in some airlines) 200 hour FO's.

Aldo

• Agree 2

Queenstown NZ is interesting

Nev

And as an added note to the above you don't realise the workload in the last 3 to 4 minutes of those approaches until you sit up the front and have some appreciation of flying.

Aldo

• Agree 1

Regarding the perils of mis-communication in the circuit, this fatal Cirrus crash (see AOPA video) is quite shocking - for various (human factor) reasons. Although it happened at a controlled airport, the kind of comms mis-takes precipitating the accident might also occur pilot to pilot. The tragic irony of the case is that it wasn't a mid-air that got them in the end, at all. It was caused by communicating trumping aviating - and a panicked gut reaction.

• Agree 1

It also teaches you to fly by instruments, which is a bad thing.

But if you get real good scenery..... but nothing beats the real thing Does it Pearo? You are right, there's the feel of the controls and the forces on the aircraft that you just don't get in a flight sim. Still, it's better than no flying at all. Be warned though Sean, once you start for real, the bug will bite and you'll be hooked.
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Sean,

The airplane is a very simple machine. When paying for time you want to manipulate the controls, not pay to observe an instructor manipulate the controls. Move them. That is the only way to see what they do. As long as your control movements are dynamic and proactive, it doesn't really matter how far you move them. I start tailwheel students out alternating putting the rudder to the stop, right, left, right, left, etc. dynamically and proactively to keep the longitudinal axis (look between your legs in side by side aircraft) going down the taxi line. The slower we go the more grossly we move the controls to get much effect. The faster we go the finer our movement, but the pressure is greater. This to the stop rudder movement gives the student empirical knowledge of where the stops are, very helpful to prevent ground loop. It also forces the student to taxi slowly, like us old guys.

That said, how can we cheaply get this feel for the controls? We learn to ride a bicycle with gross dynamic/proactive control movement (step this way and lean that way, step that way and lean this way) at first. That will help. Why yes; it is a little more complicated than an airplane. Any hydraulic control on a dozer, backhoe, combine, etc. will require dynamic proactive control movement. Static reactive dozer blade control movement will just kill the engine when the blade first goes too deep. If you can run a backhoe smoothly, without awkward do this then do that movement, I can teach you to hover a helicopter in twenty minutes. If not familiar with equipment, go to the job site or farm and volunteer. Rent a little backhoe and dig a ditch.

Simulators teach us to become comfortable with the instrument flying procedural track. Any kind of equipment, simple machines, teach us about manipulation of controls. No; they are not like a joystick. Yes, we old instructors have a hard time teaching young pilots the value of seeing and avoiding other aircraft and seeing and realizing what the effects of control movement (not pressure for beginners) are. The computer screen poorly simulates contact flying and we shouldn't text and fly anyway.

I am old, retired, and bored. Feel free to question me at any time.

Good luck,

Jim

• Like 2
  • Agree 1