Recording ph conversations

Russ

Ever discussed a matter, get advice etc, then later find that advice was wrong. Call back company, whatever, and being fobbed off.

Ok.....I have, so......how does one record ph conversation on iPhone when a circumstance might require it. ( do as many companies now do......sir your call is important, and we are recording this conversation for training etc etc etc, if you do not wish for this to be recorded please advise consultant....bla bla bla )

Asked for a confirmation email once, as I knew the info was suss......never arrived.

Ever discussed a matter, get advice etc, then later find that advice was wrong. Call back company, whatever, and being fobbed off.Ok.....I have, so......how does one record ph conversation on iPhone when a circumstance might require it. ( do as many companies now do......sir your call is important, and we are recording this conversation for training etc etc etc, if you do not wish for this to be recorded please advise consultant....bla bla bla )

Asked for a confirmation email once, as I knew the info was suss......never arrived.

Here's one way

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Newest-Cell-Phone-Calls-Recorder-with-Playback-Dictaphone-for-iPhone-4-4S-5S-EP-/181360179238?hash=item2a39e8b826

Theres plenty of call recording apps in the app store. The default voice recorder on the iphone won't allow it.

Remember, before you start talking advise them that you are recording the call if you don't they can have a noose around your neck.

That's why all companys have the declaration on the intro its illegal not to.

• Informative 1

Theres plenty of call recording apps in the app store. The default voice recorder on the iphone won't allow it.Remember, before you start talking advise them that you are recording the call if you don't they can have a noose around your neck.

That's why all companys have the declaration on the intro its illegal not to.

As an individual your rights may vary. For example, a Queensland state government site states the following (my underlining):

---------------------

"When can I record a telephone conversation?

Bugging or intercepting a telephone conversation is illegal. It is not illegal to simply record a telephone conversation if you are a party to the conversation as long as you do not attach anything to or in the phone or its connections.

There is no problem with recording a message on an answering machine, because it is assumed that the person leaving the message realises it is being recorded.

Appropriately obtained recordings can be accepted by a court as evidence."

-------------------------

So it would be appropriate to check the actual situation in your state as an individual who is party to the conversation. Note that it may be illegal to pass on the contents of a recorded conversation, much the same as listening to various radio communications - listen is OK, but do not publish.

This is governed by the listening devices act, which varies state to state. Essentially though, if one party advises that the conversation is being recorded that is sufficient. Note that in most states, consent is not required - just advise.

I've found its often helpful to have notes - name, time of call, time of stupid statement etc. Once you start trotting that out they normally back down.

As you say Russ in most instances the place you're calling records the phone conversation. If you have details of the date and approximate time they can retrieve it.

I know from experience - when I was about to sell my house a few years back I rang the bank and got a quote on the mortgage break fee. In the conversation I said "Is that amount fixed - will it change if the interest rate changes?" (Stupid question, but I had no idea) - to which the staff member said "No, it won't change."

Of course the interest rate did change and the break fee was $20,000 more than advised. I jumped up and down about it, they checked the recording of the conversation, and because I was given the wrong advice they waived the $20k.