Pilot survives Gascoyne light plane crash as distress signal helps rescue efforts

Pilot survives Gascoyne light plane crash as distress signal helps rescue efforts

A PILOT has been rescued after crashing his light plane in WA’s Gascoyne region.

The pilot is reported to be uninjured.

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority has been coordinating a search and rescue operation following the crash.

The crash site is about 315km east of Carnarvon.

The crash occurred about 8am.

“A distress beacon alert was detected by AMSA Search and Rescue at 10.14am (AEST),” AMSA said in a statement.

“A Royal Flying Doctor Service plane was diverted and observed a person waving near aircraft wreckage.

“AMSA Search and Rescue has tasked a rescue helicopter from Coondewanna mine which is en route to the crash site.”

The rescue chopper landed at the site this afternoon and the pilot is being transferred to Parabudoo.

“The pilot was the only person on board. Police could not reach the site due to the difficult terrain,’,” an AMSA spokeswoman added.

The spokeswoman said the pilot was not seriously hurt.

That was my home back in the 70s!

Great place but it can bite you hard if you break the rules.

Hmmm...just a few miles west of Landor. Wonder what he was doing and who he was?

Kaz

That was my home back in the 70s!Great place but it can bite you hard if you break the rules.

Hmmm...just a few miles west of Landor. Wonder what he was doing and who he was?

Kaz

A fair number of planes used to fly in for the Landor Bush Race Meeting and, as the annual event was held this past weekend, perhaps a straggler from the meeting. Used to be one hell of a fun week (as you probably well know having lived on a nearby station). Haven't attended for a number of years - getting too old for those shenanigans now.

• Like 1