NZ (South Island) Recreational Aviation suggestions please

B-D-H

Hi All

My wife and I are heading off to drive around the South Island of NZ for all of this coming December.

Has anyone got any recommendations of aviation places to visit or suggestions of where to do some RA flying please?

Cheers

B-D-H

Im a very regular visitor to the south Island but have not flown it...the weather changes far too quickly for my liking without local knowledge...so certainly be very careful who you take advice from and check the weather forecast 100 times... Most spectacular place to fly...If I could hire with an instructor or local on board , the main locations on the south Island would be over the Fox and Franz Joseph Glaciers, Mount Cook around Queenstown and Wanaka and then over milford sound...but i would organise a landing and cruise while at Milford...

Queenstown does have a flying club, but they looked like GA planes and its very commercial with big jets coming and going all the time. Might be easier to get one around Wanaka or Te Anau try some of the numbers in www.flyingnz.co.nz/new-zealand-air-safari/pdfs/hire.pdf

I am based at Rangiora airfield ( near Christchurch) - ideally situated for some great flying north south and west. Our club, the Canterbury Recreational Aircraft Club has approx 180 members and there are around 80 aircraft hangared on the field. Call in any day and there will always be someting happening. PM me if you would like some contact details. Queenstown is a great area, but all GA types there and microlights are basically banned from Queenstown airport which to be fair is very buy with commercial traffic. Otherwise the Soiuth Island is quite sparsely populated although Omaka airfield near Blenheim is worth a look - there is an excellent museum, also one at Ashburton.

2 yrs back, we spent 2 mths all over nz........loved south island.

Noted quite a few strips available about the south Is, ( planning on going back.....and "flying" all over )

nelson, blenham, greymouth,fox glasier, 2 privates west coast, hamner springs, mt cook, wanaka,milford, ..........and many more. Being a small landmass, distances are a breeze.

April/May we found more reliable, weather chilling off, mountain flying was more "settled".........( we hired local 172 with pilot for days at a time, and asked many questions, i'm now quite comfortable to go it alone next time ).........would LOVE.......to do in a helo, 3....5 weeks south Is, just exploring.

Did learn last time there, just how many high profile international entertainment folks, and business moguls, have properties tucked away about that south Is. Most have strips as well.........of course.

Contact Microman. His club is a good starting point. Pilots seem to switch to the automated weather info channel every half hour for the latest forecast- with good reason; if you don't like the climate, just wait a minute.

I guess you already know that the kiwis have heaps of great aviation museums worth visiting. There are some excellent ones in the south.

• 3 months later...

Hi All

Thanks for your replies and advice.

During our visit of this beautiful country, I did get the wonderful opportunity to fly a Rans S6 at the Otago Aero Club under the guidance of Alan (Instructor).

We were welcomed with open arms, shown around the various hangars/aircraft and did some flying above the wonderful terrain.

I would highly recommend this club to visitors.

Cheers

B-D-H