New Landing Lights

I have built my own here using 10watt and 20 watt LED chips. The power supplies are the issue. Trying to find a commercial powersupply that is clean for them is very difficult. The fallback is of course to make your own. I have been playing with some circuits over the past 12 months but all are very hard to quiet down. The big problem is dropping down the voltage using a linear circuit you have to get rid of the lost voltage as heat and they are not very efficient because of it. Rule number 1 is....."You never get something for nothing"

Playing around with landing lights which are installed in close proximity to a carburettor full of fuel doesn't seem like a real good idea to me. It maybe worth running this by the aircraft manufacturer to see if they have already an approved LED alternative?

Given the aircraft is an LSA certified type maintained in accordance with the manufacturers maintenance manual, anything other than approved components may invalidate insurance.

Playing around with landing lights which are installed in close proximity to a carburettor full of fuel doesn't seem like a real good idea to me. It maybe worth running this by the aircraft manufacturer to see if they have already an approved LED alternative?Given the aircraft is an LSA certified type maintained in accordance with the manufacturers maintenance manual, anything other than approved components may invalidate insurance.

As far as my aircraft is concerned I have already done that and the manufacturer has given me the ok provided I don't change the wiring and fit a 50w LED replacement bulb in place of the halogen that was in there originally...it was a very simple change over until I turned on the radio and got all this interference... I need to fit a EM compliant LED...simple I thought....mmmm maybe not so..

David

• Like 2

+1 for ferrite the wires. also maybe the headset cable

Also if the switch to the lights is physically close to your vhf radio , may be worth a try to move it [the switch] further over on the dash ,along with the wiring as far from the radio and coax as possible. Not sure how that will go as far as LSA compliance however.

ensure all grounds are good including battery to frame /common /bus

1386084902_LEDlight.JPG.d64e2acf29a4e7a2c17704bf5df4d18f.JPG

I made some LED replacements for Halogen /Xenon lamps previously used.

The holder is a diecast unit from a local lighting manufacturer

The LED modules are 9W for electric scooters they are made with 3 of 3 watt LED with a series resistor to run from 12 Volt source. Its important to add another wirewound resistor to drop the 14.8 volts from Jab charging system to 12.0 Volt for these units as they are sized for electric scooters which are run on the discharge only of a nominal 12V battery

Everyone reports they are bright and because there is no switching regulator involved there is no radio noise.

2098202886_LEDlighting.JPG.a4211f0e80a7a15a32279f2b16f41aec.JPG

Looks good and very similar to mine, different heatsink though

Thought I had a spare to photo but cant find it.

The backing plate had to be turned town to fit inside Jabiru light housing - only around 45mm ?? inside

Hi guys we put LED's in ours no problems... can someone reduce that LED stuff and post it ..it would be very handy indeed.. for all to see as i imaging now everyone is charging ipads and phones etc, they can do with LEDs where possible.. plus the LED's are so so so much brighter...

If you buy them from the usa or made to be sold in the usa you can get the FCc logo , it has a FC with the little c inside the big c, which means they must comply with the Federal Communications Commission...thus they must be tested and designed not to interfere with radio or other communications devices

Well they are supposed to comply with EMI laws but I would say most of them don't, CREE LED lights seem that they are compliant from what I have read but I have yet to test one, I will buy one in the next couple of days and try it out, I will let you know how it goes.

David